Уважаемые коллеги – российские члены Ассоциации региональных исследований (RSA) и все, кто интересуется региональной наукой и хотел бы больше узнать об Ассоциации и ее работе,
В качестве посла Ассоциации в России я готов ответить на ваши вопросы и обсудить ваши идеи и предложения о развитии российской секции RSA, организации конференций и других мероприятий в России, а также готов дать рекомендации относительно публикаций в журналах, издаваемых под эгидой Ассоциации.
Мне бы хотелось, с вашей помощью, создать сильную российскую секцию RSA, что позволит российским ученым лучше интегрироваться в мировую региональную науку, шире печататься в международных журналах и активнее обмениваться опытом и научными результатами с зарубежными коллегами.
С надеждой на плодотворное сотрудничество,
RSA Russia Panel at the IDC (Nov 5 – 7, 2020)
Please click here to view the full programme for the RSA-Russia panel at “St. Petersburg International Conference on Inequality and Diversity”, including RSA-Russia session of the RSA Global Conference.
Annual Meeting of the RSA Russia Division
The RSA Russia Division held its Annual Meeting on 6 November 2020 by Zoom. Click here to read the minutes.
RSA Russia Workshop “Spatial Development in the Age of Uncertainty”
Date: November 15, 2019
Location: Yekaterinburg, Russia
In the modern context, cities and regions are faced with explosive growth of uncertainty and turbulence of the external environment. The main factors contributing to the growing uncertainty and turbulence are global changes of demographic and migration trends, macroeconomic instability, new technological challenges, political upheavals. Influence of digitalization processes on the regional and city governance system is on the increase. The scale of the uncertainty is so large, and the changes run so deep that it is critical to rethink our perception regarding the most relevant forms and methods of spatial policy. At the same time the choice of effective models of spatial development will vary for different countries (developed, developing, emerging), for different types of regions and cities (industrial, rural and post-industrial regions, small towns, big cities and city-regions, metropolitan areas, etc.). These circumstances defined the key topic of the workshop: searching for appropriate methods of spatial policies justification and implementation to new and changing external environment; searching for new drivers and sources of sustainable spatial development.
The workshop discussion was divided into three thematic clusters. The first one was new economic reality for cities and regions. In the framework of this cluster it is planned to discuss the issues regarding new challenges and threats for spatial development. Particular attention was given to discussing specific characteristics of digitalization process, its impact on development of cities and regions, adapting different types of regions and cities to the new economic conditions.
The second thematic cluster was devoted to analysis of development trends in different types of regions and cities under current conditions of uncertainty. This cluster focused on the issues of spatial differentiation of socio-economic development, including those in the areas of financial security, employment, migration, and demographic dynamics.
In the framework of the third cluster discussion was focused on the search for the best possible models of spatial policy, identifying financial resources for implementation of strategic priorities of regions and cities under the conditions of uncertainty.
Main thematic directions of the Workshop:
- Spatial Development in the Age of Uncertainty
- New challenges and pressures for spatial development in the Age of
- Concepts, theories, methods for understanding spatial development
- Macroeconomic processes and global trends: spatial projection
- The role of planning, governance and devolution in the Age of Uncertainty
- Spatial policy and digitalization
- Smart governance for smart regions and cities
- Local and Regional Policies for the New Economy
- Spatial impacts of global investment flows, Global Value Chains and global
- Industry 4 and the future shape of innovation, industrial development and
- New forms of industrial development and policies. Competitiveness of
- industrial regions and cities in modern conditions.
- Spatial policy in post-soviet countries: old legacies and new challenges
- City and region building: governance and institutions
- The role of universities in shaping places and futures
- New financial instruments for growing cities and regions
- Development policies and cooperation in Arctic zone
- Diversity and inequality at local and regional levels
- Shrinking cities and resilience
The RSA workshop was held in the framework of the annual XIV conference «Russian Regions in the Focus of Changes» on November 14-16, 2019. The international conference «Russian Regions in the Focus of Changes» was one of the biggest discussion platforms in Russia covering issues of regional development, gathering representatives of the government authorities, academia, medium-sized businesses and large industrial enterprises. The key topic on the agenda of the conference in 2019 was how to ensure prominent economic growth in new economic realities? Main questions for discussion were:
- The Russian Federation development programme: national goals and its implementation
- Spatial development strategy of the country and regional development strategies
- Investment projects and growth points, regional investment strategies
- Regional development and digitalization
- Smart governance for smart cities
- Public administration efficiency improvement as a factor of economic growth
- Dmitry Tolmachev, Director, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Ural Federal University; Director, AC “Expert”
- Irina Turgel, Deputy Director for Science, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Ural Federal University
- Oleg Mariev, Head, Academic Department of Econometrics and Statistics, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Ural Federal University
- Viola Larionova, Deputy Pro-rector for Educational Technolodgy; Head, Academic Department of Economics and Management in Construction and Real Estate Market, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Ural Federal University
- Shlomo Weber, Rector of New Economic School (NES), Permanent Professor of NES, Honorary Professor of Economics at the Southern Methodist University in Dallas (USA), Scientific Director of the Laboratory for the Study of Social Relations and Diversity of Society (LISOMO) at NES
- Hans Wiesmeth, President, Saxon Academy of Sciences; Academic Head, Laboratory for International and Regional Economics, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Ural Federal University
- Leonid Limonov, Director General, ANO ICSER “Leontief Centre”; Professor, HSE Campus in St. Petersburg
- Sergey Kadochnikov, Director, HSE Campus in St. Petersburg
- Vladimir Klimanov, Director, Institute for Public Finance Reform; Head, Chair of State Regulation of Economy, the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration
- Yevgeniya Kolomak, Head, Sector of Interregional Economic Problems, Institute of Economics and Industrial Engineering, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences; Professor, Novosibirsk State University
- Natalia Zubarevich, Professor, Department of Geography, Lomonosov Moscow State University
Ural Federal University (Graduate School of Economics and Management) and Regional Studies Association (Russian Division).
Please note: The Russia Division is a limited agent for the Regional Studies Association but without any authority to incur financial liability for that Association.