Doctor of Economics, Professor of the Ural Federal University named after the First President of Russia B. N. Yeltsin
Доктор экономических наук, Профессор Уральского федерального университета (Екатеринбург, Россия)
Research interests: Regional and city economy, Development of industrial territories, Local government, Assessment of regulatory impact
Исследовательские интересы: региональная и городская экономика, развитие промышленных территорий, местное самоуправление, оценка регулирующего воздействия
Secondary Tier Cities in Turbulent Times: between locality and globalization
Location: Ural Federal University, Yekaterinburg, Russia
Date: 2021 – TBC
The workshop is dedicated to discussing the problems of the development of secondary tire cities, as one of the fastest growing and least studied types of cities. Intermediate cities are among the fastest growing and most creative places in the world, and often the economic engine of their larger counterparts. Some are gateways to global trade, while others specialize in valuable sectors such as government administration, resource extraction, heavy manufacturing, and technology. There needs to be more study of the secondary tier city. Information and data is often lacking, making strategic planning and research difficult.
Issues for discussion:
- Secondary tier cities’ functions transformation in the national and international settlement systems, a change in the system of existing world economic and internal relations
- Regional capitals as leaders of secondary tier cities;
- Specificity of appearing «capital» aspects of regional capitals;
- Capitals’cooperation, primary and secondary tier cities;
- Digitalisation’s role in enhancing competitiveness of secondary tier cities
- Development specifics of secondary tier cities in the post-Soviet space
- Secondary tier cities as centers of urban agglomerations and urbanized areas;
- Interaction with small and medium-sized cities, rural periphery
- Creation of a stable, constantly operating research network bringing together city researchers who occupy leading positions in settlement systems
- Permanent involvement of secondary tier cities administrations’ representatives for expert discussions using foresight brainstorming technologies to solve urban development problems
We hope to draw attention of international public organizations, including UN organizations: UN-Habitat, United Nations Public Administration Network to the development problems of secondary tier cities.
We invite the participants to take part in the international conference « Spring research days GSEM » at Ural Federal University and the workshop « Technologies for the study of socio-economic problems of the North »
Ural Federal University is one of the leading universities in Russia, located in Yekaterinburg, the capital of the World Student Games of 2023. The university initiates the creation and performs the functions of the project office of the Ural Interregional Scientific and Educational Center of World Level (REC), which is designed to solve the problems of the national project “Science”.
Graduate School of Economics and Management of the Ural Federal University is a recognized research and educational center that adheres to international academic standards. An open international environment and close partnership with global corporations with headquarters in the Urals are a hallmark of the school. GSEM provides fundamental education, combined with practical skills, to ensure sustainable development, innovative growth, and regional competitiveness.
RSA Russia Division workshop participants may take part in both the conference and the workshop just as all conference participants are welcome to take participate in the RSA Russia Division workshop.
Workshop/ Conference is free to attend (participants must cover their own travel and accommodation costs).
The best scientific papers will be recommended for publication in the scientific journals “R-economy” and “Economy of region”
For additional information, please, contact
Irina Turgel, Ural Federal University