Date and location
- September 11, 2019 - September 13, 2019
- Marie Curie-Skłodowska University, Plac Marii Skłodowskiej-Curie, 20-400 Lublin, Lublin, Poland
To join the conversation, please use #RSALublin
Special Session proposal submission: We are still accepting proposals
Early Career Speaker application 31st March 2019
Bursary Application 21st April 2019
Abstract submission and early bird registration 21st May 2019
Best Conference Paper Competition Submission 21st August 2019
Metropolises of Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries play an important role in the European economy. They are the driving force for national development, research specialisation, knowledge production, innovation and business services. They are among the fastest growing regions in the EU, attractive for foreign investors and becoming increasingly competitive in the global (European) market place.
As economic hubs they provide benefits due to economies of scale and scope for business and local society. They generate the possibility of economic, social, and cultural development, acting as growth poles – centres of concentration of activities and creation of innovations. However, contemporary metropolises in Central and Eastern European countries face many challenges and problems. They are islands of economic development surrounded by poorly developed peripheries. Less developed areas cumulate problems and challenges of a social, environmental, spatial, infrastructural and communication nature. All this requires new approaches in the development policy at the European, national, regional and local level.
The 2019 RSA CEE conference showcases challenges, determinants and perspectives of development of different kind of metropolises and peripheries in CEE. The emphasis is on the economic performance, social, and political issues with respect to regional, national and European dimensions.
To study and debate these and many other issues, we warmly invite the regional studies/science and connected communities, policymakers, planners, and practitioners to join us at the 2019 RSA CEE Conference in Lublin, Poland.
- Development challenges of metropolises and peripheries
- Cohesion Policy
- Spatial inequalities, Spatial planning policy
- Urban functional areas
- Future of cities
- Urban theory and strategy
- Suburbanization, re-urbanization, and re-vitalization
- Local resources
- Technical and social infrastructure
- Labour markets, commuting, distant work
- Dominant/prime city
- Economic growth
- Inclusive growth
- Spatial distribution and effects of FDI
- Integrated territorial investments
- Smart specialization, industrial strategy
- Innovation and competitiveness
- Cross-border regions and transnational cooperation
- Climate change and sustainability
- Socio-economic exclusion
- Quality of life and wellbeing
- Education, culture, tourism
The CEE Conference will also feature a one-day Policy Thursday, and more information about this can be found here.
A selection of articles across our five journal can be found in our CEE Virtual Special Issue. All listed articles are free to access.
Please submit your abstract (250-words abstract – text only) through the RSA conference portal. The abstract submission deadline is 21st May 2019. Abstracts will be considered by the Conference Committee against the criteria of originality, interest, and subject balance.
As part of the conference, we will run a ‘Meet the Editors’ Session’ which will highlight publishing opportunities with the RSA and provide opportunities to discuss your article with journal editors. We encourage participants to submit their conference paper to one of the RSA journals.
The following journals call for submissions of collections of papers from the CEE conference:
(1) The RSA’s open access journal Regional Studies, Regional Science which is ESCI and SCOPUS indexed and rated ‘A’ in the ABDC journal quality list. Each paper submitted as part of the conference collection will be subject to refereeing in its own right and the editors will take a view about the collection as a whole.
(2) The journal co-published by the RSA’s Polish Section Studia Regionalne i Lokalne which publishes in Polish and English also welcomes submissions from conference delegates.
We offer a reduced conference rate for RSA members. If you are not currently an RSA member, please have a look at our Membership Benefits and consider joining the RSA before registering for the Conference. To join the RSA please go to to the Members’ Lounge at https://members.regionalstudies.org/lounge
|EARLY BIRD CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEE (until 21st May 2019)|
|REGULAR CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEE (after 21st May 2019)|
|POLICY DAY RATE (Thursday 12th September 2019 only)|
Local Conference Committee:
Dr hab. Wojciech Janicki, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Prof. dr hab. Andrzej Miszczuk, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Prof. dr hab. Radosław Dobrowolski, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Prof. dr hab. Sławomir Terpiłowski, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Prof. dr hab. Irena Pidek, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Dr hab. Maciej Smętkowski, University of Warsaw; Regional Studies Association Polish Section
Prof. dr hab. Grzegorz Gorzelak, University of Warsaw; Regional Studies Association Polish Section
Prof. dr hab. Zbigniew Pastuszak, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Dr Urszula Bronisz, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Dr Andrzej Jakubowski, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin
Dr hab. Wojciech Janicki, Dr Urszula Bronisz and Dr Andrzej Jakubowski, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University (Faculty of Earth Sciences and Spatial Management), Lublin and Prof. Dr hab. Andrzej Miszczuk, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University (Faculty of Economics), Lublin, Poland
RSA Conference Manager:
Katharina Bürger, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 1273 698 017
Abstract Submission Guidelines
Best Conference Paper Competition
Bursary Application Guidelines
Call for Abstracts
Call for Early Career Plenary Speaker
Policy Thursday Lublin
Publish with the RSA
RSA membership benefits
Special Session Template & Guidelines
Terms and Conditions
- 2019 RSA CEE Conference Plenary Speakers
- 2019 RSA CEE Conference Special Sessions
- 2019 RSA CEE Conference Sponsors and Supporters