Early Career membership
The Early Career rate is for those who have been awarded a PhD within five years (or eight years, in case of documented significant career interruption for: maternity or parental leave; career’s responsibility; illness; National Service; or non-research employment but no additional time allowance will be made for part-time employment) PhD award date is taken to mean the date of the award by the University – usually the date on the PhD certificate a copy of which may be requested. The Association welcomes ECR members and offers a variety of support and benefits to develop their careers, networks, research, and influence.
See what our members are saying:
“As an Early Career member of the RSA, I have had the opportunity to connect with high-level policy-makers and academics and to network with colleagues from around the world. The RSA’s conferences have also provided me with a friendly environment to present my research results and to receive some useful feedback on my work. Overall, the RSA events have allowed me to join a strong community of like-minded researchers and practitioners”
Dr. Pedro Marques, Cardiff University, UK
You can join the RSA by registering here (this link will take you to a different website)
Become a member and benefit from:
Networking and Community
- Reach a global audience of academics, policymakers and practitioners at RSA conferences and via our publications;
- Connect with others in your subject field via our funded research networks;
- Search our Expert Register, available through our Members' Lounge;
- International Territorial Networks - link up and extend your networks via the RSA’s International Divisions, Country Sections and UK-Sub National Branches & Sections;
- Join the RSA email network to receive the monthly E-Bulletin - all entries are moderated;
- Publish in the RSA blog and share your research/insights with the global RSA community;
- Annual President's Event (high-profile networking and awards dinner) - free to attend for members.
Opportunities & Professional Development
- Present your work and network at our open and friendly conferences;
- Present your work and network at the annual student and early career conference;
- Get actively involved with your Association - we welcome pro-active membership - to shape the field and to support innovation;
- Win one of a number of prizes awarded each year by the Association and take part in some of the judging;
- Use of the post-nominal MeRSA following your family name;
- Build a global reputation via RSA article marketing, recognition through RSA awards, ECR plenary speaker competition etc.;
- Publish via the Early Career mentored publishing route. The Article Publishing Charges (APCs), normally payable for papers published in the Open Access journal Regional Studies, Regional Science, will be waived for those who are accepted for the Mentored Papers Section;
- Apply for the post of Student Representative on the RSA Board;
- Apply to become an RSA Ambassador or Territorial Chair;
- Participate in Student and Early Career training sessions as part of RSA conferences to gain skills in publishing and how to increase impact of your work.
- Annual subscription of Regional Studies (both print and online);
- Annual subscription of Spatial Economic Analysis (both print and online);
- Annual subscription of Territory, Politics, Governance (both print and online);
- Regional Studies, Regional Science (Open access journal, online);
- Annual subscriptions of Area Development and Policy (both print and online);
- Annual subscription of Regions, the Association's magazine (online only).
RSA members have also online access to the following 16 subject related journals:
- Entrepreneurship & Regional Development
- International Planning Studies
- Policy Studies
- Planning Practice and Research
- Regional Insights
- Climate and Development
- Eurasian Geography and Economics
- Urban Policy and Research
- Journal of Urbanism: International Research on Placemaking and Urban Sustainability
- Environmental Politics
- Innovation and Development
- East European Politics
- Baltic Journal of Economics
- Development Studies Research
- Urban, Planning and Transport Research
- Apply for Research Grants:
- up to £10,000 of renewable Research Network funding to organise events to discuss key questions in your area of interest;
- up to £10,000 for an Early Career Research Grant;
- up to £7,500 for a Fellowship Research Grant ;
- up to £15,000 for a Policy Expo Grant.
- Apply for conference bursaries taking the form of a free conference place at RSA conferences;
- Apply for a Travel Grant, which offers up to £500 towards travel costs;
- Apply for the annual RSA & Routledge Early Career Award for a chance to win £500; a certificate; up to £200 discretionary fund toward attending the RSA President's Event in that year (transport costs);
- Benefit from an Article Publishing Charge (APC) waiver when publishing in Regional Studies, Regional Science's Mentored Early Career Paper Section.
- Obtain discounted rates to RSA conferences;
- benefit from a Reduced Article Processing Charge (APC) for members when publishing in the Open Access journal Regional Studies, Regional Science;
- 30% discount on books and e-books in the Association's Regions and Cities Series;
- 30% discount on all subject related Taylor and Francis Books including Routledge;
- 30% discount on all subject related Edward Elgar Publications books;
- 35% discount on selected subject related Wiley books;
- 35% discount on all books from Policy Press.
|Click here, to find the territorial Band for your country of residence.||BAND A||BAND B||BAND C||BAND D|
|Early Career membership||£80||£60||£42||£22|
Our membership is based on a rolling basis and is open to all. Renewing members are eligible for a 10% discounted rate. Online payments by credit or debit cards are made in Sterling but if you would prefer to join over the phone or have any membership queries please contact us on +44 (0)1273 698 017 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can join the RSA by registering here (this link will take you to a different website).
Country Bands: Please select the country/Band you are currently living in.
Andorra; Australia; Austria; Bahamas; Bahrain; Belgium; Bermuda; Brunei; Darussalam; Canada; Cyprus; Denmark; Finland; France; Germany; Hong Kong, SAR, China; Iceland; Ireland; Israel; Italy; Japan; Korea, Rep.; Kuwait; Liechtenstein; Luxembourg; Macao, SAR, China; Malta; The Netherlands; New Zealand; Norway; Puerto Rico; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; Singapore; Slovenia; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; Trinidad & Tobago; United Arab Emirates; United Kingdom; United States
Antigua & Barbuda; Argentina; Barbados; Chile; Costa Rica; Croatia; Czech Republic; Equatorial Guinea; Estonia; Greece ; Hungary; Kazakhstan; Latvia; Lithuania; Oman; Palau; Panama; Poland; Portugal; Seychelles; Slovakia; St. Kitts & Nevis; Uruguay; Venezuela
Azerbaijan; Belarus; Botswana; Brazil; Bulgaria; China; Colombia; Cuba; Dominica; Dominican Republic; Ecuador; Gabon; Grenada; Iran, Islamic Reb.; Jamaica; Lebanon; Malaysia; Maldives; Mauritius; Mexico; Montenegro; Peru; Romania; Russia; Serbia; St. Lucia; Suriname; South Africa; Thailand; Turkey; Turkmenistan
Afghanistan; Albania; Algeria; Angola; Armenia; Bangladesh; Belize; Benin; Bhutan; Bolivia; Bosnia & Herzegovina; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cambodia; Cameroon; Cape Verde; Central African Republic; Chad; Congo, Dem. Rep.; Congo, Rep.; Cote d’Ivoire; Egypt, Arab Rep.; El Salvador; Ethiopia; Fiji; Georgia; Ghana; Guatemala; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Haiti; Honduras; India; Indonesia; Iraq; Jordan; Kenya; Kiribati; Kosovo; Kyrgyz Republic; Liberia; Libya; Macedonia, FYR; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Moldova; Mongolia; Morocco; Mozambique; Myanmar; Namibia; Nepal; Nicaragua; Niger; Nigeria; Pakistan; Paraguay; Philippines; Rwanda; Samoa; Senegal; Sierra Leone; Solomon Islands; Somalia ; South Sudan; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Swaziland; Tajikistan; Tanzania; Timor-Leste; Togo; Tonga; Tunisia; Uganda; Ukraine; Uzbekistan; Vietnam; West Bank & Gaza; Zambia; Zimbabwe
If your country/territory is not listed, please call us on +44 (0)1273 698 017 or email to email@example.com and we will give you a quote. Please note: Data for China does not include Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of China, Macao, unless otherwise noted.