Networking and Community
- Access our Professional Development webinars on demand
- Access our Regions, Cities and Industry webinars on demand
- Reach a global audience of academics, policymakers and practitioners at RSA conferences and via our publications
- Connect with others in your subject field via our funded research networks
- Search our expert register, available through our RSA lounge
- International territorial networks: Link up and extend your networks via the RSA’s international divisions, country sections and UK-sub national branches & sections
- Join the RSA email network to receive our monthly e-Bulletin: All entries are moderated
- Publish in the RSA blog and share your research / insights with the global RSA community
- Annual president’s event (high-profile networking and awards dinner) – free to attend for members
- Student and Early Career Facebook Group
- Up to £4,000 for a Small Grant Scheme on Pandemics, Cities, Regions & Industry
- Up to £10,000 of renewable Research Network funding to organise events to discuss key questions in your area of interest
- Up to £15,000 for a Policy Expo grant to connect your work and wider communities to societal questions and policy needs
- Apply for conference bursaries taking the form of a free conference place at RSA conferences
- Apply for a Travel Grant, which offers up to £500 towards travel costs when attending a non-RSA event
- Apply for the Nathaniel Lichfield Award (recent Masters students) for a chance to win £500: A certificate, up to £200 discretionary fund toward attending the RSA president’s event in that year (transport costs)
- Apply for the PhD student award for a chance to win £500: A certificate, up to £200 discretionary fund toward attending the RSA president’s event in that year (transport costs)
- Annual subscription of Regional Studies (both print and online)
- Annual subscription of Spatial Economic Analysis (both print and online)
- Annual subscription of Territory, Politics, Governance, (both print and online)
- Regional Studies, Regional Science (Open access journal, online)
- Annual subscription of Area Development and Policy (both print and online)
- Regions eZine, the Association’s e-magazine (online only)
- Access to 23 subject-related e-journals
- Policy Expo publications (both online and hard copy)
- 20% discount off RSRS APCs for RSA members (who should be members at the point of submission and acceptance of an article)
- Benefit from an article publishing charge (APC) waiver when publishing in ‘Regional Studies, Regional Science’ mentored ‘Student & Early Career’ paper section
RSA is an ideal international community for all students and early stage researchers to relate, grow and build up their networks. As an RSA student member, not only do I have free access to high-quality academic resources and information on latest academic opportunities, activities and events across the world, I’m also provided with various financial aids like discounts, bursaries and travel grants.
As a young researcher, you have different challenges. One of the biggest is to get in touch with fellow researchers and learn from their experience in one way or the other. Another very important one is access to white papers and journals. As an RSA member, I found some answers to these challenges. First, networking opportunities are a huge boost for any researcher and especially the different type of webinars offered me a great deal of value. Second, access to different annual subscriptions proved to be vital for me and I perceive them as another great benefit of being an RSA member.
Opportunities & Development
- Present your work and network at our open and friendly conferences
- Benefit from an article publishing charge (APC) waiver when publishing in ‘Regional Studies, Regional Science’s’ mentored Early Career Paper section.
- Present your work and network at the Annual Student and Early Career Conference
- Get actively involved with your Association – we welcome pro-active membership – to shape the field and support innovation
- Win one of a number of prizes awarded each year by the Association and take part in some of the judging
- Use of the post-nominal MeRSA following your family name
- Build a global reputation via RSA article marketing, recognition through RSA awards and our ECR plenary speaker competition etc.
- Publish via the early career mentored publishing route, with a waived APC for those who are accepted for the mentored papers section in the open access journal Regional Studies, Regional Science
- Apply for the post of Student Representative on the RSA board
- Apply to become an RSA ambassador or territorial chair
- Participate in student and early career training sessions as part of RSA conferences to gain skills in publishing and how to increase impact of your work
- RSA Online Writing Group (see events pages for details)
- Obtain discounted rates to RSA conferences
- 20% discount off Article Processing Charge (APC) when publishing in the Open Access journal Regional Studies, Regional Science for RSA members (who should be members at the point of submission and acceptance of an article. Please email us at email@example.com for the discount code)
- 30% discount on books and e-books in the association’s ‘Regions and Cities’ series
- 30% discount on all subject related Taylor and Francis books including Routledge
- 30% discount on all subject related Edward Elgar publications books
- 35% discount on selected subject related Wiley books
- 35% discount on all books from ‘Policy Press’ at the University of Bristol
Find your band
The student rate is for full-time students only and proof may be requested.
Join the RSA
Membership fees are for one year on a rolling basis (this means your membership will expire a full year from when you join). Membership is open to all.
Country band is determined by place of residence (not place of origin).
Those renewing their membership are eligible for a 10% discounted rate. The current rates remain unchanged for 2021. Please see below for 2022 rates:
|2022 Fee for New Members||
|2022 Fee for Renewing Members||£48.60||£37.80||£27.00||£13.50|
Online payments by credit or debit cards are made in Sterling and we can provide an invoice for bank transfer payments.
If you have any membership queries please contact us on +44 (0)1273 698 017 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Get Started Now