Networking and Community
- Reach a global audience of academics, policymakers and practitioners at RSA conferences and via our publications.
- Connect with others in your subject field via our funded research networks.
- Search our expert register, available through our Members’ lounge.
- International territorial networks: Link up and extend your networks via the RSA’s international divisions, country sections and UK-sub national branches & sections.
- Join the RSA email network to receive our monthly e-Bulletin: All entries are moderated.
- Publish in the RSA blog and share your research / insights with the global RSA community.
- Annual president’s event (high-profile networking and awards dinner) – free to attend for members.
- Apply for research grants.
- Up to £10,000 of renewable Research Network funding to organise events to discuss key questions in your area of interest.
- Up to £10,000 for an Early Career Research grant.
- Up to £15,000 for a Policy Expo grant.
- Apply for conference bursaries taking the form of a free conference place at RSA conferences.
- Apply for a Travel Grant, which offers up to £500 towards travel costs.
- Apply for the annual RSA Nathaniel Lichfield Award (recent Masters students) for a chance to win £500: A certificate, up to £200 discretionary fund toward attending the RSA president’s event in that year (transport costs).
- Apply for the Annual PhD student award for a chance to win £500: A certificate, up to £200 discretionary fund toward attending the RSA president’s event in that year (transport costs).
- Benefit from an article publishing charge (APC) waiver when publishing in ‘Regional Studies, Regional Science’ mentored ‘Student & Early Career’ paper section.
- Annual subscription of Regional Studies (both print and online).
- Annual subscription of Spatial Economic Analysis (both print and online).
- Annual subscription of Territory, Politics, Governance, (both print and online).
- Regional Studies, Regional Science (Open access journal, online).
- Annual subscription of Area Development and Policy (both print and online).
- Regions eZine, the Association’s e-magazine (online only).
- Access to 19 subject-related e-journals
- Policy Expo publications (both online and hard copy)
RSA is an ideal international community for all students and early stage researchers to relate, grow and build up their networks. As an RSA student member, not only do I have free access to high-quality academic resources and information on latest academic opportunities, activities and events across the world, I’m also provided with various financial aids like discounts, bursaries and travel grants.
I am very glad to be a member of the RSA. Your support for my research as a Ph.D. student via the European Week of Regions and Cities, the RSA Blog and the upcoming RSA conferences are invaluable motivations and more than appreciated by my side.
Opportunities & Development
- Present your work and network at our open and friendly conferences.
- Present your work and network at the Annual Student and Early Career Conference.
- Get actively involved with your Association – we welcome pro-active membership – to shape the field and support innovation.
- Win one of a number of prizes awarded each year by the Association and take part in some of the judging.
- Use of the post-nominal MeRSA following your family name.
- Build a global reputation via RSA article marketing, recognition through RSA awards and our ECR plenary speaker competition etc.
- Publish via the early career mentored publishing route. The article publishing charges (APCs), normally payable for papers published in the open access journal (Regional Studies, Regional Science) will be waived for those who are accepted for the mentored papers section.
- Apply for the post of Student Representative on the RSA board.
- Apply to become an RSA ambassador or territorial chair.
- Participate in student and early career training sessions as part of RSA conferences to gain skills in publishing and how to increase impact of your work.
- Obtain discounted rates to RSA conferences.
- Reduced article processing charge (APC) for members when publishing in the open access journal ‘Regional Studies, Regional Science’
- 30% discount on books and e-books in the association’s ‘Regions and Cities’ series.
- 30% discount on all subject related Taylor and Francis books including Routledge.
- 30% discount on all subject related Edward Elgar publications books.
- 35% discount on selected subject related Wiley books.
- 35% discount on all books from ‘Policy Press’ at the University of Bristol.
Find your band
The student rate is for full-time students only and proof may be requested.
Membership fees are for one year on a rolling basis (this means your membership will expire a full year from when you join). Membership is open to all. Renewing members are eligible for a 10% discounted rate. Online payments by credit or debit cards are made in Sterling but if you would prefer to join over the phone or have any membership queries please contact us on +44 (0)1273 698 017 or e-mail email@example.com.Register here