We have a fantastic Summer Offer of 10% discount off membership fees for new and expired members. To claim this, sign in or sign up to a new membership via Members’ Lounge and enter the campaign code SummerOffer2020 on Step 2 of the payment process.
* Within 5 years of the date on PhD certificate or equivalent.
* Eight years, in case of documented significant career interruption for: maternity or parental leave; career’s responsibility; illness; National Service; or non-research employment but no additional time allowance will be made for part-time employment.
PhD award date is taken to mean the date of the award by the University – usually the date on the PhD certificate a copy of which may be requested.
Networking & Community
- Reach a global audience of academics, policymakers and practitioners at RSA conferences and via our publications.
- Access our Professional Development webinars
- Access our Regions, Cities and Industry webinars
- Connect with others in your subject field via our funded research networks.
- Search our expert register, available through our Members’ Lounge.
- International territorial networks: Link up and extend your networks via the RSA’s International divisions, country sections and UK-Sub national branches & sections.
- Join the RSA email network to receive our monthly e-Bulletin: All entries are moderated.
- Publish in the RSA blog and share your research / insights with the global RSA community.
- Annual president’s event (high-profile networking and awards dinner): Free to attend for members.
- Female Early Career and Mid Career Researchers Network (with both in-person and online meetings, an active WhatsApp group and closed Facebook group)
- Active Student and Early Career Facebook group
- Apply for research grants.
- Apply for the Small Grant Scheme on Pandemics, Cities, Regions & Industry
- Up to £10,000 of renewable Research Network funding to organise events to discuss key questions in your area of interest.
- Up to £10,000 for an Early Career Research grant.
- Up to £7,500 for a Fellowship Research grant
- Up to £15,000 for a Policy Expo grant.
- Apply for conference bursaries taking the form of a free conference place at RSA conferences.
- Apply for a Travel Grant, which offers up to £500 towards travel costs.
- Apply for the annual RSA & Routledge Early Career award for a chance to win £500; a certificate; up to £200 discretionary fund toward attending the RSA president’s event in that year (transport costs).
- Benefit from an article publishing charge (APC) waiver when publishing in ‘Regional Studies, Regional Science’s’ mentored early career paper section.
- Annual subscription of Regional Studies (both print and online).
- Annual subscription of Spatial Economic Analysis (both print and online).
- Annual subscription of Territory, Politics, Governance (both print and online).
- Regional Studies, Regional Science (Open access journal, online).
- Annual subscriptions of Area Development and Policy (both print and online).
- Regions eZine, the Association’s magazine (online only).
- Access to 19 subject-related e-journals
- Policy Expo publications (both online and hard copy)
As an Early Career member of the RSA, I have had the opportunity to connect with high-level policy-makers and academics and to network with colleagues from around the world. The RSA’s conferences have also provided me with a friendly environment to present my research results and to receive some useful feedback on my work. Overall, the RSA events have allowed me to join a strong community of like-minded researchers and practitioners.
Early Career Member Laura Norris describes how her research is helped by her RSA Membership
Opportunities & Development
- Present your work and network at our open and friendly conferences.
- Present your work and network at the Annual Student and Early Career Conference.
- Get actively involved with your Association – we welcome pro-active membership – to shape the field and support innovation.
- Win one of a number of prizes awarded each year by the Association and take part in some of the judging.
- Use of the post-nominal MeRSA following your family name.
- Build a global reputation via RSA article marketing, recognition through RSA awards and our ECR plenary speaker competition etc.
- Publish via the early career mentored publishing route. The article publishing charges (APCs), normally payable for papers published in the open access journal (Regional Studies, Regional Science) will be waived for those who are accepted for the mentored papers section.
- Apply for the post of Early Career representative on the RSA board.
- Apply to become an RSA ambassador or territorial chair.
- Participate in student and early career training sessions as part of RSA conferences to gain skills in publishing and how to increase impact of your work.
- Obtain discounted rates to RSA conferences.
- Benefit from a reduced article processing charge (APC) for members when publishing in the open access journal ‘Regional Studies, Regional Science’.
- 30% discount on books and e-books in the association’s Regions and Cities series.
- 30% discount on all subject related Taylor and Francis books including Routledge.
- 30% discount on all subject related Edward Elgar publications books.
- 35% discount on selected subject related Wiley books.
- 35% discount on all books from Policy Press.
Find your band
Join the RSA
Membership fees are for one year on a rolling basis (this means your membership will expire a full year from when you join). Membership is open to all.
Those renewing their membership are eligible for a 10% discounted rate. Online payments by credit or debit cards are made in Sterling and we can provide an invoice for bank transfer payments.
If you have any membership queries please contact us on +44 (0)1273 698 017 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Get Started Now