The RSA Office team is sending all members, partners, our board and committees and the wider community sincere thanks for your support and engagement with us over the course of the year.
As 2021 draws to a close, here are some dates for your new 2022 diaries. You can also sign up to receive our monthly eBulletin, so you do not miss out on any of these opportunities.
After the success of our Global E-Festival Regions in Recovery in 2021, we are again working with partners to bring you this event. We will provide you with a research-led celebration of regions and how these can be re-imagined in times of challenge including Covid-19, climate change and geo-political turmoil. We will bring together researchers and communities from across the world enabling you to network and share your research in regional studies and science. The festival will run between 21st March – 1st April 2022.
The festival takes a broad sweep across the fields of regional studies and science. If your work could be published in related journals then you can present it at this gathering.
Click here to learn more about it, register and submit your abstract.
RSA Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) Programme – Bridging Old and New Divides: Global Dynamics and Regional Transformations, Leipzig, Germany and online
Throughout 2022, the RSA in partnership with Leibniz Institute for Regional Geography (IfL), Research Centre Global Dynamics at Leipzig University and Saxon Academy of Sciences and Humanities is organising a themed series of events focussing on Central and Eastern Europe: An online webinar series, and hybrid pre-conference early career programme followed by an international conference in Leipzig, Germany, will highlight and discuss bridging old and new divides in CEE, provide knowledge exchange, and ample capacity building and networking opportunities with researchers and policymakers working in the field.
The 2022 RSA CEE Conference is the third event in a series which started in 2017 in Cluj, followed by Lublin in 2019. The format of the 2022 conference (online, hybrid or in-person) will be decided on in the first half of 2022. RSA membership is not a requirement to attend this conference.
- 14th – 17th September 2022, Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) Conference, Leipzig, Germany
- 1st March – 7th June 2022 (once a month), Free to attend pre-conference online panel and discussion series
- 3rd May 2022, Early Career pre-conference event, It’s time to speak: how do early career researchers perceive old and new divides in Central and Eastern Europe? – Application submission deadline 28th February 2022
Third EU Cohesion Policy Conference – Late autumn 2022, Zagreb, Croatia and online
Jointly organised by the European Commission, Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy, the Croatian Government and RSA Europe.
This event is free to attend (attendees must cover the cost of their own travel, accommodation and subsistence), the number of places at this event will be restricted and a selective process will take place.
- 1st June 2022 – abstract submission deadline
- 31st July 2022 – Notification of selected papers and special sessions and registration will open on the same day
RSA Winter Conference
Regions in Transition: Balancing Economic, Social and Environmental Sustainability in the Face of Uncertainty, London UK and online
The Regional Studies Association Winter Conference 2022 will offer a timely opportunity to discuss and debate important issues, and to rethink the key theories, concepts and methods used in the field of regional studies in the face of changing regional challenges, and to provide new evidence for the urgent reforms of policies for regions and cities. The conference will provide a forum for rethinking the ways in which regions and cities develop and discussing ways to nudge them towards economically, socially and environmentally sustainable development paths.
Information about abstract submission and registration will be available in early 2022.
- 2nd February 2022, Publishing: How to Publish in a Second Language
- 4th May 2022, Presentation Skills: Talking and Engaging Audiences Online
- 26th January 2022, Policy Expo, Levelling Up Left Behind Places: The Scale and Nature of the Economic and Policy Challenge
- 23rd February 2022, Regional Planning is Dead: Long Live Planning Regional Futures
- 27th April 2022, Details available soon
- 25th May 2021, Details available soon
- 27th January 2022, Korea, Details available soon
- 9th February 2022, India: Building Accessible Safe Inclusive Indian Cities, Turning a Process into a Reality
- April 2022 date tbc, Brazil
- May 2022 date tbc,
- November 2022 date tbc, Nordic Countries
These opportunities provide members with the chance to apply for financial help to support their work, run networking events, receive awards for excellence, help towards the costs of travel to attend non-RSA events, and present their work to international audiences.
We hope that you will have a look through these opportunities and if you have any questions or need further clarification, please just get in touch with Klara Sobekova.
Student and Early Career Awards 2022– Deadline: 20th April 2022
Nominations (both self-nominations and third-party nominations) of current members are being sought for the following awards in regional studies and related fields:
- Nathaniel Lichfield Award – this award is for recent Masters graduate who have graduated within the previous year
- Paul Benneworth PhD Student Award – this award is for registered PhD students who have not yet received their PhD certificate
- RSA Routledge Early Career Award – this award is for early career researchers (defined as being within five years of the date on their PhD certificate or equivalent)Membership
- Membership Research Grant Scheme (MeRSA) – Application Deadline (Expression of Interest): 10th May 2022
- Fellowship Research Grant Scheme (FeRSA) – Application Deadline (Expression of Interest): 10th May 2022
- Early Career Grant Scheme – Application Deadline (Expression of Interest): 24th May 2022
- Small Grant Scheme on Pandemics, Cities, Regions and Industry – Application deadline June 2022 (date tbc)