The aim of this Research Network is:
- To extend and deepen the conceptual development of the concepts of peripherality and marginality.
- To develop and explore the theoretical underpinnings to analyse these concepts within, though not exclusively, northern Europe.
- To identify gaps, initiate studies and promote collaboration in empirical research and other investigations into peripherality and marginality.
- To assess critically strategies and policies of development in peripheral areas.
- To disseminate results, good practice and networking activities across the RSA and beyond.
- To extend, stabilise and improve the inner functioning of the network.
- To consider the role of borders and border regions in this particular context and to determine whether a reorientation away from their incorporation with peripherality and marginality is desirable.