Date and time
To join the conversation, please use #RSA20
Please register here.
- 1st December 2019: Registration opens
- 17th January 2020:
- Special Session proposal submission
- Bursary application deadline
- Early Career Plenary Speaker competition deadline
- 31st January 2020: Abstract submission deadline
The Regional Studies Association’s Annual Conference 2020 #RSA20 will be our largest knowledge exchange and networking gathering to date. It is being held in partnership with the School of Economics and Business, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. This four-day conference brings together academics and policymakers to exchange news, views and research findings from the fields of regional studies and science, regional and economic development, policy and planning. There will be representation from around 50 different global territories as we gather both established experts and early career researchers in the beautiful city of Ljubljana.
The conference will feature 450+ presentations, high-profile plenary speakers, a number of specially convened sessions, workshops, networking sessions, walking tours and field trips. The social programme will include the conference dinner, side events, sport activities, exhibitor stalls and post-conference tours to explore Slovenia.
#RSA20 will address topics concerned with regional and urban development, policy and research. The Association takes a broad view of its remit but all submissions will be refereed prior to acceptance to ensure minimum standards of quality and field relevance and innovation are maintained. In addition to abstract submissions we welcome proposals for special sessions, networking events, book launches, author meets critic sessions, etc.
More information about the conference
I. Smart cities and regions
II. The regional dimension of climate futures
You are invited to submit your abstract to one of the following conference themes:
- Regional innovation and technological change
- Demography, labour markets and migrations
- Financing regional transformations
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- Spatial economy, infrastructure and housing
- Regional inequalities and EU cohesion policy
- Agglomeration, clusters and externalities
- Value chains and international trade
- Sustainable tourism
- The future of EU, Brexit and W Balkans
- Climate change, energy and environmental sustainability
- Globalisation and de-globalisation
- Governance, policies and institutional change
- Populism, nationalism and social change
- Inclusive growth
- Future of metropolitan and non-metropolitan areas
There are three different routes to your participation in #RSA20:
Please submit your abstract (up to 250 words and text only) through the RSA conference portal.
You will receive two emails:
- Abstract submission confirmation
- Event confirmation (confirmation of the payment of the conference fee)
Your active participation allows us to support the global regional studies community. Your engagement is key to the impact that regional studies can make. Thank you.
We welcome submissions by virtual presenters (prerecorded video and participation in the session via Skype). Please contact Katharina Bürger, if you are interested in this form of participation.
Registration is scheduled to open on 1st December 2019.
We offer a reduced conference rate for RSA members. If you are not currently an RSA member, please have a look at our Membership Benefits and consider joining the RSA before registering for the Conference. To join the RSA please go to to the Members’ Lounge.
|Early Bird Rates until 31st January 2020||individual||Early Career/retired||student|
|band a||£225||£ 185||£170|
|band b||£195||£ 145||£125|
|band c||£150||£ 105||£85|
|Normal rates from 1st February 2020||individual||Early Career/retired||student|
|band a||£270||£ 220||£195|
|band b||£235||£ 175||£155|
|band c||£190||£ 145||£115|
|band d||£145||£ 115||£90|
Associate Professor Vasja Rant, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Dr Sonja Šlander, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Professor Marko Pahor, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia