The JRC at the RSA Annual Conference - SMARTER Conference Stream
The European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) and the Regional Studies Association (RSA) are co-organising the 2023 SMARTER conference stream in the context of the RSA Annual Conference 2023 in Ljubljana. The overall focus of the SMARTER stream is on challenges and opportunities of place-based transformations towards sustainability and resilience. The JRC will curate a series of sessions including an opening session featuring distinguished keynote speakers, two policy dialogues and three paper sessions.
The SMARTER paper sessions will focus on three broad themes:
- Place-based perspectives on transformative innovation and transition pathways towards sustainability
- Place-based approaches to challenge-led policies and governance of sustainability transitions
- New research designs and methods to inform place-based policies fostering sustainability transitions and territorial resilience.
We welcome submissions for the above sessions addressing the following topics:
- Theoretical and conceptual contributions combining sustainability, resilience and recovery in the context of territorial development
- Evolving global geographies and political economy of innovation for sustainable development
- Imaginaries of place-based rural and urban transitions towards sustainability
- New forms of place-based innovation, experimentations and territorial collaborations to address sustainability challenges
- The role of research and innovation in fostering place-based sustainability transitions
- Measuring transformative outcomes and impacts of research and innovation for sustainable territorial development
- Emergence of challenge-led and mission-oriented regional and local innovation strategies and policies in Europe and beyond
- Critical perspectives on the role of science, technology and innovation for sustainability transitions in rural and peripheral regions and localities
- Innovative research designs, methods and data to study the dynamics and impact of STI for sustainable territorial development.
JRC will select up to three papers for each session. To view the draft agenda: RSA SMARTER – agenda. The final decision will be communicated in due course to the authors of the selected submissions.
To take part in the JRC Conference Stream participants need to be registered for the 2023 annual conference.
Please submit your abstract (up to 250 words and text only) by 31st March 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org including which of the three themes it is to be assigned to.
In case of questions, please contact the RSA Conference Manager Nicola Pilling at Nicola.Pilling@regionalstudies.org.