Thank you for your continued support this year. As 2020 draws to a close, we would like to take the opportunity and provide you with important dates for your new 2021 diary. Make sure to add the following event dates and deadlines for our Grants and Funding opportunities now. You can also sign up to receive our monthly eBulletin, so you do not miss out on any of these opportunities.
2021 Conferences, Events and Webinars
Regions in Recovery: Building Sustainable Futures – Global E-Festival
This has been the most extraordinary of years when conferences have been cancelled or postponed and normal flows of researcher engagement and networking have been heavily disrupted. So, what is the plan for 2021, a year in which we all hope that vaccines will roll out globally and we will slowly see a welcome return to more social interaction?
A small number of societies and research-led organisations have come together and agreed that rather than run competing events we will contribute to co-hosting a festival of regional and related research. This multi-partner event will run globally, online from 2nd June – 16th June 2021.
Click here to learn more about it, register and submit your abstract.
Special Session submission deadline: 27th January 2021
Abstract submission deadline: 17th March 2021
Professional Development Webinar Series:
- 20.01.2021, Publishing: Understanding journal and researcher metrics – Henry Wai-Chung Yeung (National University of Singapore, Singapore) – Register on the RSA Lounge
- 03.02.2021, Grants and Funding: An Introduction to the Policy Expo Grant by the RSA – Phil Tomlinson (University of Bath, UK) and Neil Lee (London School of Economics, UK) – Register on the RSA Lounge
- 10.02.2021, Publishing: A conversation about publishing a non-standard academic piece – hear from the eZine Regions and the RSA Blog Editor (Eduardo Oliveira, University of Kiel, Germany and Joshua Barrett, University of Guelph, Canada) – Register on the RSA Lounge
Regions Cities Industry Webinar Series:
- 27.01.2021, Policy Expo, Every place matters: towards an effective place-based policy, led by Andrew Beer (University of South Australia, Australia)
- 24.02.2021, Cities at a glance, led by Paolo Veneri (OECD, France)
- 24.03.2021, Policy Expo, Chinas Belt and Road Initiative, led by Xiangming Chen (Trinity College, USA)
- 28.04.2021, Place-based policies, led by Joaquim Oliveira Martins (CEPII, France)
- 26.05.2021, Problems of Federalism in the US (John Agnew, UCLA, USA)
2021 Grant Schemes and Awards deadlines
These opportunities provide members with the chance to apply for financial help to support their work, run networking events, receive awards for excellence, help towards the costs of travel to attend non-RSA events, and present their work to international audiences.
We hope that you will have a look through these opportunities and if you have any questions or need further clarification, please just get in touch with Klara Sobekova.
Student and Early Career Awards 2021 – Deadline: 30 April 2021
Nominations (both self-nominations and third-party nominations) of current members are being sought for the following awards in regional studies and related fields:
- Nathaniel Lichfield Award – this award is for recent Masters graduate who have graduated within the previous year
- Paul Benneworth PhD Student Award – this award is for registered PhD students who have not yet received their PhD certificate
- RSA Routledge Early Career Award – this award is for early career researchers (defined as being within five years of the date on their PhD certificate or equivalent)
RSA Policy Expo Grant Scheme – Deadline: 20 April 2021
Applications are invited on the following themes:
- Pandemics: Regional Resilience and Regional Policy Responses
- Social Innovation, Foundational Sectors and the Regional Economy
- The Future of Work, the Gig Economy, and Inclusive Growth