Date and time
Please note that this event has been cancelled due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. On behalf of the organisers we apologize for any inconvenience.
The Chairs of the North East, North West and Yorkshire and Humberside Branches are delighted to invite you to the first RSA Pan-Northern Branches Conference.
The conference is designed to provide a platform for free thinking exchange of ideas, with the aim to address and discuss research and policy issues affecting the North of England in light of European and global trends and in view of national and regional contexts. During the one-day day, we will focus on how to respond to the current and future challenges for the North arising from multiple sources, such as the UK Industrial Strategy, new infrastructural investments such as HS2, the uncertainties posed by the Brexit process. Our scope is to look ahead to 2030 and the next decade for urban and regional development across public, private, voluntary and no-profit sector in the regions.
The event is free for RSA members to attend but registration and bookings are essential as we have capped the numbers of attendees. The invitation is extended to all RSA members although priority will be given to those based in the North West and North East of England, and in Yorkshire and the Humberside.
Key-note speakers include:
- Professor David Bailey, Birmingham Business School
- Professor Christina Beatty, CRESC, Sheffield Hallam University
- Professor Alan Harding, Greater Manchester Combined Authority/University of Manchester
- Professor Joyce Liddle, NBS Northumbria University
- Professor Raquel Ortega-Argiles, City-REDI, University of Birmingham
- Dr Anna Round, Institute of Public Policy and Research
- Professor Andy Pike, CURDS, Newcastle University
- Victoria Sutherland, Senior Economist, North East Local Enterprise Partnership
- Expert panel with policymakers and representatives from the North West, North East and Yorkshire and Humberside Regions.
Please click here or see below for the full program.
The Future of Northern England in Changing Times for Regions
Friday 27th March 2020
09:00-09:30 Arrival & Registration [The Great Hall, Sutherland Building]
09:30-09:45 Introduction to the day
Professor Andrew Wathey (Vice-Chancellor, Northumbria University);
Professor Ignazio Cabras (Chair, Regional Studies Association North East Branch)
09:45-11:15 Session One: Public Sector Leadership and Social Welfare
Professor Christina Beatty, Sheffield Hallam University
The Impact of Welfare Reform on Northern England
Professor Joyce Liddle, Northumbria University
Public Policy and Leadership in Northern England
11:15-11:30 Coffee break
11:30-13:00 Session Two: Brexit and the North
Professor Raquel Ortega Argiles, University of Birmingham
The Impact of Brexit on UK Regional Economies
Professor David Bailey, University of Birmingham
The Need for a Holistic Regional Industry Policy: Brexit and the UK Automotive Sector
13:00-13:45 Lunch break
13:45-15:00 Panel Discussion: Changing Times for the Northern Regions?
- Professor Alan Harding (Chief Economic Adviser, Greater Manchester Combined Authority)
- Victoria Sutherland (Senior Economist, North East Local Enterprise Partnership)
- Dr Tom Forth (Head of Data, Open Data Institute Leeds)
- Dr Anna Round (Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Public Policy and Research)
- Felix Kumi-Ampofo (Assistant Director – Policy and Assurance, Sheffield City Region)
15:00-15:45 Closing session:
Professor Andy Pike, Newcastle University
Regional Development, Policy and Governance Futures for Northern England
15:45-16:00 Wrap-up and Conclusions
Professor Ignazio Cabras, Dr Elvira Uyarra and Dr Will Eadson
16:00-16:30 Official Launch – iNCITE Research Centre
Professor David Charles, iNCITE Director at Northumbria University
16:30-17:30 Drinks and Refreshments; Conference ends
If you would like to attend the conference please email Wendy Stephenson: email@example.com before 15th March 2020.