Date and location
- September 4, 2018 - September 7, 2018
- CRENoS (Centre for North South Economic Research), Università di Cagliari, Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
Read about the experiences of students at our first RSA summer college 2018 here: https://www.regionalstudies.org/news/rsa-summer-college-2018-a-message-from-the-trailblazers/
About the College
Significant societal challenges concern everybody and addressing and solving them is a community effort. The Regional Studies Association Europe’s Socio-Spatial Dynamics Summer College will create a fertile environment to tackle these challenges, training students and young researchers to collaborate and work across disciplines.
The RSA Europe’s Summer College has been established to focus on how ideas, theories, methods and data can be leveraged across disciplines for the purpose of scientific advancement. Applications are welcome from PhD candidates and post-docs who have been awarded a PhD in the past 5 years, from a variety of disciplines and institutional backgrounds.
While the quest for answers and solutions to important socio-economic challenges might be the driving force behind scientific and technical progress, the RSA Europe’s Summer College will foster an environment where asking the right questions is equally important.
- To develop new networks beyond Economic Geography and Regional Science and/or Studies.
- To explore collaborations at the intersection of disciplines.
- To push the frontier of scientific inquiry in one field by incorporation of ideas and theories from others.
- To connect young talented researchers from various disciplinary backgrounds.
- To offer participants valuable networking opportunities with peers and also with course tutors.
- To offer participants training in methods and skills and the opportunity to discuss and develop their understanding of, and contribution to, theoretical advancement.
- To encourage and pursue the development of future leading researchers.
Particular focus on how data collected in one field might be structured and made accessible for use in other lines of research. All of this will be achieved through presentations and practical demonstrations on advanced methods and skills that are utilised in a specific field, followed by a discussion on their interdisciplinary application. The venue, CRENoS (Centre for North South Economic Research) is located at the University of Cagliari in the stunning Mediterranean metropolis of Cagliari, Sardinia, and provides an ideal setting for this event.
Summer College Committee
The RSA Europe’s Socio-Spatial Dynamics Summer College is an original endeavour supported by Regional Studies Europe alongside a diverse and interdisciplinary committee:
- Emanuela Marrocu – CRENoS & Dept of Economics and Business, Università di Cagliari, Sardinia
- Riccardo Crescenzi – Dept of Geography, London School of Economics, UK
- Dieter F. Kogler – Spatial Dynamics Lab, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Alessandro Plaisant – Dept of Architecture, Design and Urbanization, Università di Sassari, Italy
- Stefano Usai – CRENoS & Dept of Economics and Business, Università di Cagliari, Sardinia
- David Bailey – Aston University, UK
- Final Programme (pdf)
- Poster Guidelines 2018 (pdf)
- Information and Logistics (pdf)
- Terms and Conditions (pdf)
- Call for Applications (pdf)