Date and location
- September 3, 2019 - September 6, 2019
- CRENoS (Centre for North South Economic Research) Università di Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
Extended application submission deadline: 9th July 2019
The mobility of skilled individuals and the transitional nature of the workplace from a more permanent and stationary setting to one that is project-based and dominated by short term contracts is changing the economic landscape. In addition, as highly skilled workers become more reliant on finding, and subsequently bidding and securing, projects offered by a variety of entities, they also increasingly need to become entrepreneurs rather than just employees who can rely on the support mechanisms that a regular place of work usually offers. Conversely, low skilled individuals face increased job insecurity and competition both domestically and internationally (via imports from low labour cost countries and value chains). The co-evolution of skills, mobility and entrepreneurship, and the rapid pace of how these transitions occur in the contemporary knowledge-based economy provides a fertile environment for inter-disciplinary discourse and scientific inquiry. RSA Europe’s Socio-Spatial Dynamics Summer College 2019 aims to coach students and early career researchers to collaborate and work across disciplines in order to tackle these and related, societal challenges.
- To develop new networks beyond economic geography and regional disciplines
- To explore collaborations at the intersection of disciplines
- To push the frontier of scientific inquiry in one field by incorporation of ideas and theories from others
- To connect young talented researchers from various disciplinary backgrounds
- To offer participants valuable networking opportunities with peers and also with course tutors
- To offer participants training in methods and skills and the opportunity to discuss and develop their understanding of, and contribution to, theoretical advancement
- To encourage and pursue the development of future leading researchers
The RSA Europe’s Summer College has been established to focus on how ideas, theories, methods and data can be leveraged across disciplines for the purpose of scientific advancement. Applications are welcome from PhD students and candidates & post-docs and early career researchers (defined as being within five years of the date on their PhD certificate or equivalent) from a variety of disciplines and institutional backgrounds.
Your application should include:
- A 3-minute (max) video introducing yourself and outlining your current research project (PhD thesis or research project if post-doctoral fellow)
- One-page statement of interest connected to the theme of the RSA Europe’s Summer College
- Two page CV
- Three specific research questions you would like to discuss whilst at the RSA Europe’s Summer College
- Extended abstract of your PhD thesis or recent research project (3 pages max)
Interested current PhD students and early career researchers are requested to submit their details via the online form (Google form) – to access the form please go to “click here to register”. Please submit all documents and video by 9th July 2019.
Selected applicants will be notified in July 2019. If you have any problems with your application, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If accepted to attend the RSA Europe Summer College, you will be asked to produce an A1 sized research poster on your project to be displayed and discussed during the meeting.
Acceptance in to the College covers accommodation, meals and social activities. There is no formal charge to attend this event but a voluntary donation to RSA Europe of €250 is strongly suggested to support the Foundation’s work.
The venue, CRENoS (Centre for North South Economic Research) is located at the University of Cagliari in the stunning Mediterranean metropolis of Cagliari, Sardinia, and provides an ideal setting for this event.
Read about the experiences of students at our first RSA summer college 2018 here: https://www.regionalstudies.org/news/rsa-summer-college-2018-a-message-from-the-trailblazers/
The RSA Europe Socio-Spatial Dynamics Summer College is organised by Regional Studies Association European Foundation through an interdisciplinary committee:
- Stefano Usai – CRENoS & Dept of Economics and Business, Università di Cagliari, Sardinia
- Emanuela Marrocu – CRENoS & Dept of Economics and Business, Università di Cagliari, Sardinia
- Riccardo Crescenzi – Dept of Geography, London School of Economics, UK
- Dieter F. Kogler – Spatial Dynamics Lab, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Alessandro Plaisant – Dept of Architecture, Design and Urbanization, Università di Sassari, Italy
RSA Europe Conference Organiser: Klara Sobekova – Klara.Sobekova@RegionalStudies.org