Posted on: 27 November, 2018
Application deadline: January 7, 2019
University Professor of Urban Studies, University of Vienna, Austria
The appointment of particularly qualified researchers to university professors is an important strategy of the University of Vienna. Become part of this vibrant and future-oriented organisation.
At the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy of the University of Vienna the position of a
University Professor of Urban Studies
(full time, permanent position) is to be filled.
Candidates for the professorship must be internationally recognized for Urban Geography with a focus on urbanisation in the context of global change processes and societal transitions.
We are looking for individuals who are outstanding scholars with cross-cutting research concepts in the interdisciplinary field of urban studies. Candidates are expected to have excellent publication, external funding and teaching records. The new professorship is expected to strengthen cooperation within and across faculties.
Teaching at all levels will be done mainly in Geography, as well as within the teacher education program and with the option to contribute to Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, and Meteorology. The candidate is expected to play a leading role in the international 4CitiesMaster Programme in Urban Studies.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
Doctoral degree/PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution
Habilitation (venia docendi) in a subject field relevant to this position or an internationally accepted equivalent qualification is desirable
Outstanding achievements in research, excellent publication record, international reputation
Experience in designing, procuring and managing large research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to lead research groups
Enthusiasm for excellent teaching, teaching experience at universities as well as the ability and willingness to teach students in all phases of their studies (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level), to supervise academic theses and to promoting young academic colleagues
The University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in bachelor’s programmes and for participation in university committees. In addition, the University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to be prepared to take over responsibility on the organisational level of the Faculty and the University, if necessary.
a negotiable and attractive salary (classification according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff, allocation to job group A1; section 98 of the Universities Act 2002); the salary will be individually negotiated under consideration of the previous career development and the current income situation
in addition to the statutory social insurance, the University of Vienna offers a pension fund to its employees
a “start-up package”, in particular for the initiation of research projects
a dynamic research location with well-established research funding provisions
attractive working conditions in a city with a high quality of life
comprehensive advice and support in relation to finding an accommodation, change of schools and dual career
a wide range of support services offered by central service institutions
The University of Vienna pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/en). The University puts special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Application letter, including a brief description of:
- current research interests and research plans for the immediate future
- current and planned foci in academic teaching and the supervision of young Researchers
- Academic curriculum vitae, including information about “esteem factors” (e.g. experience as a publisher, functions in research societies or programme committees)
- List of publications, including:
- specification of five key publications which the applicant considers particularly relevant to the advertised professorship
- provision of an Internet link for download or electronic submission of PDF versions of these five publications
- information about citations and impact factors, depending on the common practice in the relevant research area
- List of talks given, including information about invited keynote lectures at international conferences
- Third-party funds list of acquired third-party funds (subject, duration, origin, volume) as well as, if applicable, of inventions/patents
- Overview of previous academic teaching and supervised theses, especially doctoral theses
- Teaching evaluations (if available)
- Copies of documents and certificates
Applications in English should be submitted by e-mail to the Dean of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy of the University of Vienna, Petra Heinz, Althanstr. 14 / UZA II, A-1090 Vienna (email@example.com).
Reference no.: FGGA/2018/05
The application deadline is 7 January 2019.