The Department of International Business and the Research Chair in Innovation and Regional Development at HEC Montréal invite applications for two fully funded PhD positions in International Business, which will start on September 1, 2021.
Position 1 – Innovation and Regional Development
The 4-year scholarship will be integrated in the research project ‘Innovative firms in regions’ funded through the Research Chair on innovation and regional development and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and will start on September 1, 2021. The project is lead with David Doloreux (HEC Montreal) and Richard Shearmur (McGill University).
The first successful applicant is interested in conducting inter-disciplinary research in the following subjects:
- Innovation, networks and regions
- Innovation in different regional settings
- Industrial dynamics, economic geography and globalisation
- Low-tech, high-tech industries, and services (KIBS)
For questions about this position, please contact Prof. David Doloreux (email@example.com)
Position 2 – International Business and Public Policy
The second successful candidate applicant is interested in conducting inter-disciplinary research in the following areas:
- Global governance and economic diplomacy
- Global value chain-oriented policies
- Belt Road Initiative
- International business-government relations
For questions about this position, please contact Prof. Ari Van Assche (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ph.D. program in international business
The PhD scholarships will be a part of the PhD program in International Business at HEC Montréal. We offer a stimulating and team-based work environment, which provides opportunities to present at national and international conferences and workshops, network with scholars and practitioners and develop skills in advanced research methods, data analysis and writing, teamwork and leadership.
For more information about the Department of International Business and its research profile, visit the department’s website – https://www.hec.ca/affint/index.html
In-program scholarships: PhD students receive an amount of $20,000 per year, mostly in the form of scholarships, during the first 4 years of studies.
- Exemption of tuition fees: All enrolled students receive an exemption of tuition fees during the first 4 years of studies.
- Financial assistance to attend scientific conferences: Assistance is offered by the Research and Knowledge Transfer Office and by professors-researchers to enable students to attend scientific conferences and present scientific papers.
Applicants should have a master’s degree in Business, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Economic Geography or other fields with relevance to the subject areas.
- Applicants must pass one of the following tests, with a score equal to the 70th percentile or better.
The application should include the following (one single pdf file):
- Letter of motivation (2 pages max)
- Full CV
- Names and e-mail addresses of 2 references
- Copy of master thesis or chapters of the thesis
- 1-page proposal about research agenda
If you are interested in applying for position 1, please send your application package to David Doloreux (email@example.com). If you are interested in position 2, please send your application to Ari Van Assche (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 1 December 2020, and interviews will be held in the week commencing 7 December 2020.