The OSCE Academy in cooperation with the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) invites applications for two full-time Post-Doctoral Researcher positions. The aim of the fellowships is to boost the research capacity and research output of the OSCE Academy. In addition, the Post-Doctoral Fellows are expected to take part in ongoing events and activities of the OSCE Academy.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is a public foundation, established in 2002 by the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes the principles and values of the OSCE through post-graduate education, professional trainings, research and intellectual exchange. Its demanding MA Programmes in the fields of “Economic Governance and Development” and “Politics and Security (Central Asia)” enroll a total of up to 60 young professionals per year on a highly competitive basis, from Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. The Academy also hosts several Associate Research Fellows, publishes articles, policy briefs, and research papers on questions relevant to the Academy’s mission, and continuously seeks to strengthen its research capacity.
Tasks and duties
- Publication of 3 articles per year in peer-reviewed academic journals;
- Submission of 1 research grant proposal per year to a relevant funding institution by each Fellow and participation in other research fundraising activities of the OSCE Academy;
- Supervision of up to 2 theses for the OSCE Academy’s MA programmes by each Fellow;
- Assisting the admissions process at the OSCE Academy;
- Teaching of up to 4 credits courses within the MA programmes / preparatory Summer School at the Academy;
- Initiating and organizing conferences, workshops, seminars and trainings at the Academy;
- Carrying out peer review and mentoring for the Academy’s publications (research papers, policy briefs series).
- PhD in economics, environmental studies, international relations, or a related field is required;
- The PhD dissertation must have been submitted by the time of application for the fellowships;
- Excellent knowledge of English is required;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills are required;
- Willingness to cooperate with colleagues at the Academy and NUPI is required;
- A track record of producing academic publications is an advantage;
- There are no limitations on the nationality of applicants.
Terms of reference
- The duration of the Fellowships is 2 years, from January 2022 to December 2024 inclusive;
- The Fellows will must live in Bishkek during this period and have the OSCE Academy as their workplace but will be supervised closely with the OSCE Academy’s partner institution NUPI. The contact person at NUPI is Dr. Indra Overland, who can also be contacted for information about this call: email@example.com
- The post-docs should work on energy, natural resource management, climate change, geopolitics, the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative or similar topics.
The OSCE Academy will provide/cover
- Scholarship of 3500 EUR per month per Fellow, paid in national currency (gross sum subject to tax and social fee deduction);
- Visa and work permit support (if necessary);
- Office space and computer, as well as access to all facilities of the OSCE Academy;
- Funds to cover open access fees for most of the Fellows’ publications;
- Additional funds for a mobility and equipment package in the amount of 6000 EUR per post-doc per year;
- Funding for a research assistant (if desired by the Post-Doc Fellow).
NOTE: The Academy will not cover transport, accommodation, health insurance and expenses of family members. The Academy will, however, assist with all issues related to travelling to Bishkek and finding housing in the city.
Applicants should submit the following documents
- A cover letter, 0.5–1 page
- 4-6 titles of possible articles to write during the post-doc period (these are only preliminary and may be further developed or changed in consultation with the Academy and NUPI later on)
Further details will be requested from selected applicants at a later stage of the application process.
The whole application should be submitted as a single file in PDF format attached to an email with the subject line “Post-Doc Researcher” by 30 June 2021, 5:00 pm Bishkek time to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, please contact Dr. Indra Overland at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acceptance of applications: May – June 30, 2021
Shortlisting of candidates: August 2021
Interviews with shortlisted candidates: September 2021
Final selection decision: mid October 2021
Only selected candidates will be notified about further selection procedures.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is an equal-opportunity institution. It operates on the principle of non-discrimination. All recruitment decisions are taken on the basis of best qualification of the candidates, taking into consideration regional and gender balance.