At the University of Greifswald’s Institute of Geography and Geology, Chair of Economic and Social Geography, in the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, there is a job vacancy available from 1 January 2024 or as soon as possible, subject to budgetary regulations, for a full-time
Teaching and Research Assistant (PostDoc).
The position on offer is for an initial three-year term, but can be extended for a further three years. Payment will be made according to pay group 13 TV-L Wissenschaft. The position is suitable for part-time employment.
The Economic and Social Geography working group focusses on the following topics: knowledge-based and sustainable transformation and innovation processes in regional economies, universities and regional development, global value chains and production networks, spatial equity, municipal finance, and public service provision in urban-rural settings. We offer a dynamic, creative working environment in which you can develop and implement your research activities with a high degree of autonomy. International research activities with a connection to the Baltic Sea Region and/or East and Southeast Asia are particularly desired. For your own research, the chair will provide you with seed funding (especially for travel, empirical work, auxiliary staff) upon taking up the position and based on a short research concept (one page) that should be submitted with the application.
As part of your job, you will participate in research, teaching, and academic self-administration in economic and social geography and in the Institute of Geography and Geology. This includes in particular:
- Development of your own research profile,
- Conception of and participation in research projects,
- Preparation of international publications and conference contributions,
- Establishment and expansion of international networks,
- Design and teaching of courses in the study programmes of geography (two courses à 90 minutes per semester), supervision of theses.
The position on offer is aimed at postdocs wishing to complete a habilitation or equivalent qualification. Tasks will therefore be transferred that are conducive to the preparation of a habilitation or equivalent.
- Completed, very good doctorate with a focus on economic geography, a related human geography discipline or economic and social sciences with a focus on spatial aspects
- Substantive knowledge of regional development, innovation research and/or transformation research
- Sound skills in quantitative and/or qualitative empirical research methods
- A high degree of motivation and independence as well as teamwork and social skills
- A very good command of the English language
- Scientific publications and/or externally funded projects
- Teaching experience, evidenced by evaluation results if applicable
- Experience in working with stakeholders in administration, politics, and business
- A very good command of the German language
- International experience
This vacancy is open to all persons, irrespective of gender. Severely disabled applicants with the same qualifications will be considered with preference.
In accordance with § 68(3) PersVG M-V, the Staff Council will only be involved in staff matters of the academic or artistic staff on request.
Unfortunately, application costs (e.g. travel expenses for interviews) will not be reimbursed by the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Please note that by submitting your application, you provide your consent pursuant to data protection law for our processing of your application data. Further information about the legal bases and the use of your data can be found here.
The job advertisement with application deadline on September 30, 2023 can be found under the following link:
Your convincing written application with an outline for your own research project (one page) must be sent with reference to the job advertisement number 23/Sa32 by 30 September 2023, preferably via email (one PDF file), to:
University of Greifswald
Institute of Geography and Geology
Prof. Dr. Daniel Schiller