The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
Senior Scientist at the Department of Geography and Regional Research
Founded in 1885 the Department of Geography and Regional Research is the oldest and biggest geography department in Austria. It is home to more than 90 researchers as well as general staff in 9 working Groups, and 3,000 students. From the beginning, it has accommodated both human and physical geography. This interdisciplinary basis in social and natural sciences provides a dynamic and inspiring environment for researchers to address the grand societal challenges of our time.
The position is assigned to the research group Economic Geography, which deals with theory-led, evidence-based, and policy relevant research on spatial aspects of innovation-based socio-economic sustainability transitions.
We are looking for an outstanding scientist who will contribute to the development of the ReSeT (Regional socio-economic sustainability transformations) Lab. ReSeT’s purpose is to advance the analysis of innovation and transition processes towards sustainability as well as of the place-based and multi-scalar configurations in which such changes unfold. To do so, ReSeT focuses on challenge-oriented innovation systems and policies, green and just transitions as well as socio-technical-ecological transformations in different spatial contexts by applying a manifold set of empirical methods such as large-scale surveys, content analysis, case studies, action research, etc. The lab provides the data and research infrastructure that allows to conduct ground-breaking and impactful research, build up and strengthen connections to other research centres, attract research funding, and professionalize our exchanges with key practice partners in industry and policy making.
The position is initially limited to an employment duration of 2 years with a transition to a permanent position possible through mutual agreement from both sides.
Duration of employment: 2 year/s
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
- Contribution to the development of the ReSeT (Regional socio-economic sustainability transformation) Lab
- Proactive participation in activities related to the ReSeT Lab, such as generation, analysis and visualisation of spatial data on innovation and sustainability transitions, development of new indicators and methods, capacity building, networking, outreach
- Research activities in the field of geography of innovation and sustainability transitions
- Acquisition of national and international third party funding
- Publishing in renowned international peer-reviewed academic journals
- Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Science management (e.g. participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance, involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration)
- PhD / Doctoral degree in the field of Geography or a related discipline
- Professional competence in the field of geography of innovation and sustainability transitions
- Professional competence in handling large-scale datasets
- Competences in advanced statistics; programming skills desired but not mandatory
- Experience in mixed method approaches
- Experience in acquiring third party funding
- Experience in project management and science communication
- Proven ability to publish in highly ranked international journals
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Experience in teaching and supervising of students
- Willingness to contribute to science management
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
- Description of research interests and research agenda (max. 3 pages)
- Contact details of people who could provide a letter of reference
- Academic and other relevant certificates
Main research field
|Special research fields||Importance|
Human Geography, Regional Geography, Regional Planning
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 21.08.2022, mentioning reference number 13439.
For further information please contact Trippl, Michaela +43-1-4277-48720.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.