Posted on: 20 December, 2018
Application deadline: February 25, 2019
Seconded National Expert, European Commission EuroStat Methodology & Innovation team, Luxembourg
Post identification (DG-DIR-UNIT): ESTAT-B-1
- Directorate-General: Eurostat
- Directorate: B Methodology; Dissemination; Cooperation in the European Statistical System
- Unit: B1 Methodology; Innovation in official statistics
- Head of Unit: Martina HAHN
- Email address: Martina.Hahn@ec.europa.eu
- Telephone: +352 4301 35031
- Number of available posts: 1
- Category: Administrator (AD)
- Suggested taking up duty: 2nd quarter 2019
- Suggested initial duration: 2 years
- Place of secondment: Luxembourg
- Specificities: With allowances
Nature of the tasks:
Eurostat Unit B1 “Methodology; Innovation in official statistics” is a dynamic and friendly unit with 25 colleagues providing Eurostat, other Commission DGs and the European Statistical System (ESS) with service and expertise in the areas of statistical methodology, data analytics, statistical confidentiality, research and innovation, and to explore the potential of new data sources for producing trusted smart statistics and informing EU policies. Its aim is to foster the quality of European statistics and corresponding production processes, to maximise the use of data collected and to improve efficiency through interoperability and integration of ESS processes.
The offered post contributes to the development of statistical methodology in Eurostat and in the ESS. The expert will form part of a team engaged in statistical methodology, which takes into account new data sources and the growing importance of ensuring privacy of data providers. S/he will contribute in particular to the following areas:
- Methodological support to Eurostat production units and to other European Commission DGs;
- Methodological support, e.g. through developing of common guidelines for Member States on statistics based on multiple data sources;
- Contribute to projects covering areas such as trusted smart statistics, big data, time series analysis, seasonal adjustment, statistical confidentiality and data analytics;
- Contribute to the preparation of meetings and related activities of the Directors’ Group on Methodology (DIME) and the WG Methodology, including through supporting documents and presentations as well as contributions to ESS events and international conferences;
- Contribute to the organisation of Eurostat’s flagship events such as the New Techniques and Technologies Conference (NTTS) and the Conference of European Statistics Stakeholders (CESS);
- Support open source solutions used in official statistics.
The post offers the opportunity to collaborate closely with colleagues in Eurostat, in national statistical offices and in international organisations on a wide range of topics related to the modernisation of official statistics and statistical methodology, taking into account recent developments, like e.g. new methods and tools to integrate new data sources in statistical production
Eligibility criteria The following eligibility criteria are to be fulfilled by the candidate in order to be seconded to the Commission. Consequently, the candidate who does not fulfil one of them will be automatically eliminated from the selection process.
- Professional experience: at least three years’ experience in administrative, legal, scientific, technical, advisory or supervisory functions which can be regarded as equivalent to those of function groups AD;
- Seniority : at least one year by your employer, that is having worked for an eligible employer (as described in Art. 1 of the SNE decision) on a permanent or contract basis for at least 12 months before the secondment;
- Linguistic skills: thorough knowledge of one of the EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties. An SNE from a nonmember country must produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one EU language necessary for the performance of his duties.
Selection criteria Diploma:
- university degree or
- professional training or professional experience of an equivalent level
in the field of statistics or a related domain.
Professional experience: the successful candidate should have experience in official statistics. Knowhow and experience in statistical methodology, statistical disclosure control and/or data science are an asset. The candidate should be capable of undertaking a range of development, data analysis, presentation, communication and administrative tasks. Training opportunities will be provided.
Language(s) necessary for the performance of duties: very good command of English.
Submission of applications and selection procedure
Candidates should send their application according to the Europass CV format (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae) in English, French or German only to the Permanent Representation / Diplomatic Mission to the EU of their country, which will forward the applications to the competent services of the Commission within the deadline fixed by the latter. Not respecting this procedure or deadlines will automatically invalidate the application. Candidates are required not to add other documents (such as copy of passport, copy of degrees or certificate of professional experience, etc). If necessary, these will be requested at a later stage.
Candidates will be informed of the follow-up of their application by the unit concerned.
Conditions of the secondment
The secondment will be governed by the Commission Decision C(2008)6866 of 12/11/2008 laying down rules on the secondment to the Commission of national experts and national experts in professional training (SNE Decision). This decision is available on http://ec.europa.eu/civil_service/job/sne/index_en.htm. The SNE will remain employed and remunerated by his/her employer during the secondment. He/she will equally remain covered by the national social security. Unless for cost-free SNEs, allowances may be granted by the Commission to SNEs fulfilling the conditions provided for in Art. 17 of the SNE decision. During the secondment, SNEs are subject to confidentiality, loyalty and absence of conflict of interest obligations, as provided for in Art. 6 and 7 of the SNE Decision. If any document is inexact, incomplete or missing, the secondment may be cancelled.
Processing of personal data
The selection, secondment and termination of the secondment of a national expert requires the Commission (the competent services of DG HR, DG BUDG, PMO and the DG concerned) to process personal data concerning the person to be seconded, under the responsibility of the Head of Unit of DG HR.B4. The data processing is subject to the SNE Decision as well as the Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. Data is kept by the competent services for 10 years after the secondment (2 years for not selected or not seconded experts). Data subjects may exercise their right of access to data concerning them and the right to rectify such data by applying to the controller, in accordance with Article 13 of the Regulation on the processing of personal data. The candidate may send complaints to the European Data Protection Supervisor email@example.com. To the attention of candidates from third countries: your personal data can be used for necessary checks. More information is available on https://ec.europa.eu/info/departments/human-resources-and-security_en Information on data protection for candidates to a JRC post is available on: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/jrc/index.cfm?id=6270.