Posted on: 7 March, 2019
Application deadline: March 25, 2019
Research Technician, Full Time Position for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) Operations Center, Arizona State University, USA
- Campus: Tempe
- Research Technician
- Job Description: This position serves as support for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) Science Operations Center (SOC), in the collection, processing and analysis of Narrow Angle Camera (NAC) and Wide Angle Camera (WAC) data from the LROC instrument suite.
- Job Family: Research & Laboratory
- Department Name: Lunar Recon Orbiter Sci Ops Cn
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- VP Code: EXEC VP/PROVOST
- Scope of Search: Open
- Grant Funded Position: This is a grant funded position. Continuation is contingent on future grant funding.
- Salary Range: $13.50 – $16.00 per hour; DOE
- Close Date: 25-March-2019
- Category: 01
- Assist LROC Science team members with data processing tasks to support research.
- Compile and distill information from LROC imagery to be included in research papers, posters and talks presented at meetings.
- Assist with Education and Public Outreach events on campus and off-site to promote the LROC mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment; OR, Four years research or archaeological experience appropriate to the area of assignment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of remote sensing techniques.
- Experience in balancing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of image processing concepts and techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistics and data characterization/classification methods.
- Experience in identifying and resolving problems.
- Use computers effectively including inputting, reviewing and retrieving information, extended periods of viewing screen and using mouse and keyboard.
- Work in a shared, open office setting and use office equipment (e.g. printers, copiers, fax machines, telephones).
The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) is the imaging system on board NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. LROC is managed and controlled from its location on the ASU Tempe Campus. It is collecting data and doing ground breaking research that is fundamentally transforming our understanding of the Moon while trailblazing a path for future lunar exploration. LROC is uncovering much needed information about potential landing sites, location of important lunar resources and new scientific discoveries.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.