INTERESTING JOB OPPORTUNITY AT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Professor in Mobility
→ Apply until 07/05/2021 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Discipline: Mobility
→ 100% Assistant professor tenure track
→ Reference number: 202102/WE/ZAP-BOF/001
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto “Dare to Think”. Ghent University’s mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
This position in the rank of assistant professor, funded by the Special Research Fund, is a tenure track appointment for a period of 5 years with a focus on research and with a teaching load limited to no more than 8 ECTS credits per semester on average over a period of 3 years. For the further development of the academic career, please see ‘Appointment information’ below.
You lecture various course units in the discipline of mobility (with associated methods and techniques, data structures and visualization). You will play a coordinating and guiding role in the EIT Urban Mobility Masters School Course (https://www.eiturbanmobility.eu/masterschool/).
You develop interdisciplinary research in the field of mobility and have an excellent scientific file in this field. You are a geographer/ geometrician (or related scientist) with a strong track record in interdisciplinary research projects. From a geography background you will develop new research methodologies that translate research questions into new scientific insights and substantiated social and policy recommendations. Your international recognition is illustrated by scientific publications, research projects (ongoing and completed), awards, invitations to give presentations at high-quality international conferences in this field, or invitations as a jury member.
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the department of Geography (WE12).
- You have already conducted excellent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in outstanding publications in national and international peer-reviewed books and/or journals;
- In addition to scientific publications, you can submit a portfolio of important scientific and social achievements, for example patents, awards, software applications, organization of conferences, etc.;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- You already have experience as a research leader and can show this by acquired research funding and supervision of master and doctoral students.
- Recommended are:
o International mobility, for example through research stays in research institutions external to the institution where you acquired your highest academic degree, or equivalent forms of internationalization (including multiple shorter study stays, international visibility, internationalization within the own research institution);
o Experience with internal, external and social services;
o Accomplishments with a scientific and / or economic and / or social impact;
o Educational professionalization: you commit to further develop your competences with regard to teaching or other education-related tasks;
o Positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing;
o Experience with science communication.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience 1 september 2021. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
- We offer you a temporary appointment as an assistant professor in a tenure track system for a term of five years with a focus on research. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor. At that moment the time devoted to research, education and academic services may be altered.
The recruitment is possible no sooner than 1 september 2021.
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy – at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/work/mobility-career/career-aspects/professorial-staff
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of ‘Dutch’ and ‘English’ for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/work/talent.
Candidates who are newly appointed at Ghent University with an appointment as autonomous academic staff of at least 50% or candidates whose appointment as autonomous academic staff at Ghent University is increased to a minimum of 50% receive a Starting Grant of €210.000 to contribute towards the personnel, operating and/or equipment costs of establishing a research team.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance in which a maximum of 60% of the academic staff with a PhD degree is of the same gender. Female applications are thus especially welcomed. As long as this goal is not achieved at the level of the group of scientific disciplines involved, the university board will in principle, for positions within this group, give priority to candidates of the underrepresented gender but only in case of equal qualifications of the applicants. This priority is neither automatic nor unconditional; the personal situation of each candidate needs to be taken into consideration in the evaluation at all times.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the Research Council for advice and subsequently be sent to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their 5 most impactful academic achievements. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Application form’: the BOF Tenure Track professorial staff application form + all annexes mentioned in the form (a.o. 5-year research plan and long term research vision), merged into one file of maximum 10 MB.
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession)
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Frank Witlox (Frank.Witlox@UGent.be, +32 09/264 45 53) at the faculty of Sciences, department of Geography.