Posted on: 7 January, 2019
Application deadline: January 18, 2019
Post-doctoral research assistant – Tourism and real estate investment (Airbnb/Hotels), Centre of Geographical Studies, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Post-doctoral research assistant – Tourism and real estate investment (Airbnb/Hotels)
Centre of Geographical Studies, University of Lisbon
Contract type: full-time.
Duration: 30 months.
Annual Salary: 38.217€
Closing date: 18th January 2019
Description of the project
Applications are invited for a Post-doctoral Researcher on the project SMARTOUR. SMARTOUR is a three-year project funded by the Portuguese National Agency for Science, Research and Technology (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, FCT). It is led by Dr Agustin Cocola-Gant, Centre of Geographical Studies, University of Lisbon and Dr Patricia Romeiro, Centre of Studies on Geography and Spatial Planning, University of Porto. SMARTOUR focuses on three challenges faced by urban planners today: (i) a remarkable tourism growth; (ii) the success of holiday rentals via platforms such as Airbnb; and (iii) a tourism-related wave of real estate investment. In Portugal, as in other cases in Europe, those processes are currently at the centre of socio-political debates. By a comparative analysis of the cities of Lisbon and Porto, SMARTOUR will undertake an in-depth examination of the socio-spatial impacts of this rapid growth in order to provide policy solutions for a sustainable future. The empirical exploration will focus on three objectives. Firstly, we will monitor real estate investment activity in order to understand how it is linked to tourism, particularly in relation to hotels and Airbnb. Secondly, we will examine the supply of holiday rentals with the intention of assessing how they affect the rental housing market. Thirdly, we will conduct an ethnographic investigation that will make visible the way in which residents cope with tourism on a daily basis. SMARTOUR has the support of several partners, including Lisbon and Porto City Councils and works together with an Advisory Board formed by leading national and international scholars.
The researcher will implement the first objective of the project (tourism and real estate investment, with a particular focus on Airbnb and hotel-led investment). S/he will assist in the supervision of two research assistants that are implementing complementary research objectives. S/he will also collaborate in administrative tasks of the project.
Your priorities will include:
- Desk-based literature reviews and secondary analysis of relevant existing literature.
- In-depth interviews with key players in the real estate sector in Lisbon and Porto.
- Writing up findings for reports and publications.
- Attendance and presentations at academic research conferences.
- Assistance in supervising a PhD candidate and a IT research assistant.
- Assisting with the overall project management, such as maintenance of the website, communication with project members, arranging project meetings and events, maintaining project social media and other administrative roles.
Who we’re looking for:
- PhD in Geography or a related social science.
- Experience of conducting qualitative research.
- Experience of research and publications in the field of the project or a related area (tourism, housing, gentrification, real estate investment).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Portuguese.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to travel to Porto for periods of 2-4 weeks.