80%, Singapore, fixed-term
The Future Cities Laboratory is inviting enthusiastic individuals to apply for a post-doctoral position within the research project on ‘New Urban Agendas under Planetary Urbanization: Designing Sustainable Agri-Urbanisms.’ Under the direction of Professor Naomi C. Hanakata (NUS), the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with an international and interdisciplinary team in a world-class environment which supports the professional development of its members, including advanced research facilities, teaching opportunities, diverse scientific seminars, and constructive mentoring.
‘New Urban Agendas under Planetary Urbanization’ aims at a better understanding of processes of extended urbanisation in agricultural territories, exploring their urban potentials and formulating concrete design strategies and governance models for sustainable futures. The specific part which is investigating the role of agro-energy businesses studies the impact of renewable energy extraction practices in otherwise agriculturally defined urban territories from a spatial, social, and regulatory perspective and aims to contribute to new governance and design strategies for agri-urbanism.
The successful candidate will work proactively and independently on topics related to the spatial, social and regulatory dimension of agro-energy businesses. Research will be done on and in the surrounding region of Singapore as well as Zurich and possibly other areas. The position will also include the opportunity to gain teaching experience as well as grand call applications.
- PhD in Geography, Urban Design, Urban Planning, Environmental Science or related disciplines
- Demonstrated experience with research in agricultural territories and preferable agro-energy businesses
- Demonstrated skills with GIS
- Basic understanding about urban planning is preferred
- Passionate about research and motivated to learn
- Highly responsible and able to work independently with integrity
- Very good English skills
- Very good communication skills
- A strong team player who is able to prioritise, multi-task and work collaboratively and harmoniously with a diverse workforce
- Teaching experience
- Both Singaporeans and foreigners are welcome to apply, but applicants must be currently residing in Singapore
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Cover letter (outlining your interest, qualifications, and publications if any)
- CV maximum 4 pages
- Copies of educational certificates
- Recommendation letters from 2 referees
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about New Urban Agendas can be found on our website www.fcl.ethz.ch/research/new-urban-agendas-planetary-urbanisation. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Asst Prof. Naomi C. HANAKATA, email email@example.com (no applications).