The Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy (CSB) of the University of Antwerp (Department of Sociology) in cooperation with the “GC Wealth Project” at the Stone Center on Socio-Economic Inequality at the Graduate Center at the City University of New York (CUNY) is looking for a full-time researcher aspiring to complete a PhD.
- To strengthen the Antwerp Interdisciplinary Platform for Research into Inequality (AIPRIL) team led by Ive Marx. AIPRIL seeks to advance our understanding of how socioeconomic inequalities are changing, what is driving such trends and what, if anything, can be done.
- To contribute to the GC Wealth Project, led by Salvatore Morelli, a project based in the Stone Center, which is directed by Janet Gornick. The GC Wealth Project aims to expand and consolidate access to research and information on wealth, wealth inequalities, and wealth-related policies.
- This position focuses on the role of wealth in relation to poverty and social policy, with attention to the gender dimension.
- For more information:
- a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in social sciences (sociology, social-economic sciences, economics, … – preference will be given to honours degrees)
- a keen interest in issues of socioeconomic policy
- aspiring to complete a PhD
- a solid background in research methods and data analysis
- a good knowledge of statistical software packages such as STATA, SPSS, SAS, R
- capable of independent work, a creative mind
- excellent English language skills.
- strong motivation to learn and work in a multidisciplinary team
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
What we offer
- We offer a stimulating research environment in two leading research centres on socio-economic inequality. Your doctorate will be co-supervised by Janet Gornick and Ive Marx. Candidates are expected to enroll in the Doctoral Program of the University of Antwerp.
- We can offer Ph.D. scholarships for up to 4 years (the first year counts as a trial period).
- The planned start date is 1 November 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at the University of Antwerp City campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- You will also have the opportunity to visit the Stone Center in New York City. In addition, you will have the option to spend time at Roma Tre University, where Salvatore Morelli serves as Associate Professor in Public Economics. Under his guidance, researchers at the Roma Tre University collaborate with the Stone Centre to carry out wealth research for this project.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 28 September 2023 (by midnight Brussels time).
- Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Successful applicants will receive an invitation for an interview in the course of October 2023.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the position itself, please contact Professor Ive Marx (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Professor Janet Gornick (email@example.com).
Please apply here: