The Institute for Advanced Studies is a non-university, highly visible and well-networked economic and social science research centre in Europe that prvides scientifically and politically relevant answers to current social challenges. For our research group Energy, Environment and Sustainable Economic Structures we are looking for a researcher who is pursuing a PhD in economics and/or social sciences.
In particular, this position is focused on the research field of environmental economics. The research group with a motivated team led by Klaus Weyerstrass applies interdisciplinary research at the interface between economy, society and the environment.
If you want to conduct research at an excellent scientific level and make a difference with projects, you’ve come to the right place!
The position as Junior Researcher (PhD candidate) (d/f/m) will be filled from October 15th 2023.
• Participation in current research projects
• Application and further development of methods in the field of economic modelling, in particular agent-based modelling
• Performing quantitative (required) and qualitative (optional) research
• Research according to the agreed research plan, participation in the drafting of reports
• Carrying out research in line with the dissertation.
• MA/MSc in one of these fields: Economics, Business, Environmental Science, Statistics, Mathematics.
• Expertise and interest in environmental economics (or related research areas)
• Firm intention to pursue a doctoral degree
• Experience with statistical programs such as Matlab (preferred), R, or Stata
• Experience with quantitative research methods, knowledge of qualitative methods desirable
• Strong presentation and communication skills as well as excellent writing skills in German and English
• Ability to work both in a team and independently
• Participation in ongoing research projects, in particular the multi-year EU project SUNRISE on the resilience of critical infrastructures (for more information, see the Sunrise website).
• Opportunity to pursue own scientific interests in the context of dissertation project (preferably in one of the fields of the research group)
• Excellent conditions for scientific publishing and for scholarly exchange on an international level
• a collegial and young team in a non-discriminatory working environment with respectful, appreciative cooperation
• Flexible, family-friendly working hours with the possibility of home office
• Very good public transport connections to the institute, which is centrally located in Vienna’s 8th district.
The salary for the advertised position is based on the FWF scheme for doctoral candidates and amounts to € 2,464.80 gross per month (14x) for max. 30h/week.
The initial term of the contract is 3 years. After successful evaluation according to IHS standards, there is then the possibility of an extension.
Junior researchers are part of the IHS Doctoral Program. The contract with IHS include a dissertation agreement, which will be updated regularly over time, as well as a mentoring program.
Then apply in German or English with a CV and cover letter. The cover letter should include your motivation for a PhD at the IHS, your interest in the research areas of the group and the work at the IHS. Please also include two reference contacts and attach your master’s thesis or other (unpublished or published) research paper. If available, you can also attach a plan of your dissertation.
We attach great importance to the protection of your personal data in the application process. Please read the data protection regulations in the application process carefully here before you send your data to us.
The Institute for Advanced Studies aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore explicitly invites qualified women to apply.
For further information, please contact Klaus Weyerstrass, email@example.com or Christian Kimmich, firstname.lastname@example.org.