At the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) at the University of Sussex we are looking for a PhD candidate to complement our EMPOCI research team investigating the governance of sustainable energy-mobility transitions. Application deadline is October 26, 2021 for a start in January or May 2022. I would be grateful if you could forward this email to any suitable candidates.
We are seeking a PhD candidate with an interest in the governance of low-carbon socio-technical transitions in the energy-mobility systems in the USA and California, meeting the following requirements:
- MSc degree: A very good Master’s degree in the social sciences (e.g. in innovation/transition studies, policy/governance studies, political science, and related fields).
- Bachelor’s degree: A good Bachelor’s degree in any discipline(s), but preferably with relevance for studying sustainable energy-mobility transitions.
- Methods skills: Prior experience with qualitative or quantitative research methods.
- Language skills: Fluency in oral and written English.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Country expertise on policies and policy making processes for energy-mobility transitions in the US (incl. through work experience). Regional expertise on California is a plus.
- Sectoral expertise in the electricity-mobility-ICT systems (e.g. through work experience).
- Prior studies or research in interdisciplinary innovation/transition studies, or related fields.
- Prior studies or research on the politics of transitions, theories of the policy process, multi-level governance, policy mixes for sustainability transitions, policy evaluation, or related fields.
- Methodological expertise in case studies of organisations and/or survey design and analysis (incl. use of software tools such as NVivo, MaxQDA, SPSS, STATA)
- Skills in data analytics/science for the social sciences are an additional plus, such as knowledge of programming language(s) (e.g. Python, R), experience in solving modelling problems using AI/ML approaches, or working with NLP libraries (e.g. SpaCy, NLTK, Gensim, Hugging Face).
Further information about the PhD studentship can be found here: https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/fees-funding/phd-funding/view/1339-3.5-years-PhD-studentship-in-ERC-project-EMPOCI-%E2%80%9CGoverning-sustainable-energy-mobility-transitions:–multi-level-policy-mixes,-transformative-capacities-and-low-carbon-innovations%E2%80%9D.