The Unit Economic Geography in the Institute of Geography, University of Bern, invites applications for the following position:
PhD in Economic Geography
The position will allow the successful applicant to pursue a PhD in the fields of innovation studies, entrepreneurship and regional development. Dissertation projects can be developed
from own interest and/or focus on any of the following topics the research group is currently working on:
• Social innovations and regional development in rural/mountain regions
• Post-/de-growth/growth-independence dynamics from a small and medium-sized enterprise perspective and alternative economy approaches
• Digitalization and regional development, including drivers and consequences of workplace mobility for innovation and entrepreneurship
• Entrepreneurship, including studies of entrepreneurial ecosystems, minority/women entrepreneurship, entrepreneurship in rural/mountain regions
• The geography of innovation particularly in the context of industrial towns/peripheries/mountain regions
We offer a stimulating and team-based work environment, which provides opportunities to present at national and international conferences and workshops, network with scholars and
practitioners and develop skills in advanced research methods, analysis and writing, teamwork and leadership.
Starting date: to be determined, ideally January 2022
Workplace: Institute of Geography, University of Bern, Switzerland
The salary is according to guidelines of the University of Bern.
– Conducting research for a doctoral dissertation (protected time for research is ensured)
– Writing academic publications
– Supporting the group`s teaching, research and administrative activities
– Candidates for the PhD position should hold a Master degree in geography or in a closely related discipline (economic geography, economics, socioeconomics, sociology, history,
political science, etc.).
– Candidates should be able to conduct fieldwork using methods of social science analysis.
Experiences in economic geography research and methods are an asset.
– Excellent language skills in English and knowledge of German is considered a plus.
The application should include the following (as one single PDF file):
– Letter of motivation
– Full CV
– Names and e-mail addresses of 2 references
– Copies of diplomas and diploma supplements
– 1 short writing sample (e.g. chapter of master theses, can be English or German)
– 1 page proposal for ideas for doctoral research that fits with the research of the group
Deadline: October 22, 2021
The PhD position is part of the Unit Economic Geography in the Institute of Geography at the University of Bern (Professor Heike Mayer). The research group is active in the Center for Regional Economic Development (CRED) at the University of Bern. We currently work on a number of SNF-funded research projects. In addition, we are engaged in applied research and regularly provide expert advice to local, regional and national policymakers. For more information about the research group, please visit our website.
The University of Bern has more than 19,200 students and offers a full range of fields of studies. For more information about the University as an employer, please visit this link. Bern and the
Bernese Oberland boast a high quality of life and offer numerous amenities such as urban swimming, hiking, skiing, etc.