New scholarship for PhD students from West and Central Africa (esp. Ghana) doing a PhD in Geoinformatics at Heidelberg University
The Robert and Christine Danizger Scholarship is awarded to very good up-and-coming doctoral students from Africa (primarily from Ghana or another country in West and Central Africa) who are planning a doctorate at Heidelberg University in the fields of Geoinformatics (or Political Science) and who need help with funding their doctorate.
Learn more about everything you need to consider when applying, on this page.
WHAT DOES THE FUNDING LOOK LIKE?
- The amount of the scholarship for doctoral students is 1,200 € per month.
- The award period is generally 2 semesters. An extension is possible on request and if all requirements are met (academic performance, financial hardship, availability of funds) for a maximum period of 2 semesters.
WHEN AND HOW CAN I APPLY?
You can apply for a scholarship from 1 May to 15 July, 2021. Please send your application documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHICH APPLICATION DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED?
Please submit the following application documents during the application period:
- Signed application form
- Current performance records: University diploma that qualifies for a doctorate (original certificate) including the final grade as well as an official translation in German or English and if available, an official conversion of the diploma to the German grading system.
If your university diploma is not available by the end of the application period, it is sufficient to submit a provisional certificate from the university confirming your academic performances, so far (ideally with a grade of all examinations, so far), that states that you expect to complete your course of study by the start of the semester following the application period. Please note that you have to submit your missing certificate by the start of the lecture period.
- Confirmation of acceptance of the doctorate (ps: currently either Zipfor Prof. Höflecan accept PhD students in Geoinformatics at Heidelberg University)
- Curriculum vitae in table form
- Letter of motivation with reference to the topic of the doctorate
- Recommendation letter from a university instructor in the specific field
- Proof of citizenship
- Self-disclosure of revenue and expenditure (part of the application form)
- Evidence confirming the financial situation (pay slip of the parents, own wage slips etc.)
“Many years of friendship and cooperation connect us to Ghana and, more recently, to other parts of West and Central Africa as well. With the scholarship, we want to support talented young people from African countries wishing to come to Heidelberg University to start and successfully complete a Master’s degree or a doctorate. Where financial resources are limited, a scholarship can be crucial. Programs of study in the fields of Geography, Political Science and Sociology are particularly important to us.” – Christine and Robert Danziger