Posted on: 20 May, 2019
Application deadline: June 30, 2019
New funding opportunities for PhD students, Routledge/Round Table Commonwealth Studentships, UK
Routledge/Round Table Commonwealth Studentships
Funded by The Round Table: The Commonwealth Journal of International Affairs and the journal’s publisher, Routledge, in association with the ACU, these two new UK-based studentships provide support for research projects on Commonwealth-related themes.
- The first studentship is open to registered PhD students from UK universities, who are resident in the UK at the time of applying for the award, although not necessarily UK citizens.
- The second is open to registered PhD students from ACU member universities anywhere in the Commonwealth, and to Chevening and Commonwealth Scholars.
- Chevening alumni would need to wait at least two years after the end of their Chevening award before applying for a Routledge/Round Table Commonwealth Studentship, in order to satisfy the criteria for the Chevening award.
Applications should be submitted by the deadline, midnight on Sunday 30 June.
Applications should consist of:
- a CV
- a brief note (no more than one page) outlining the intended use of the funds the names and contact details of two referees, one academic (preferably the applicant’s PhD/DPhil supervisor) and one personal.
- The note outlining the intended use of the funds should include such information as: the intended period of study; the specific topic of the proposed research; explanation of why the applicant is hoping to undertake this research; what Commonwealth value the findings might have; and what the applicant intends to do after obtaining a doctorate.
Applicants from outside the UK will also need to provide a letter from a UK university willing to provide academic mentoring support. It will be the responsibility of the successful applicants to arrange flights, accommodation, and visas.
- The first studentship has a value of £4,000.
- The second has a value of £8,000.
How to apply
To apply complete the online application form.
For further information or clarification, email Alex May (details on website https://www.acu.ac.uk/scholarships/commonwealth_studentships/commonwealth_studentships)
Applications open: Wednesday 15 May 2019
Deadline for applications: Midnight on Sunday 30 June 2019
Judging period: July and August
Announcement of winners: Early September 2019
Take-up of awards: 1 November 2019 to July 2020, although there may be exceptions in the case of Chevening Scholars doing graduate work who are unable to return to the UK for two years after completion of their scholarship.