Posted on: 18 July, 2019
Application deadline: September 2, 2019
Lecturer in Geospatial Data Science, University of Glasgow, Scotland
Lecturer in Geospatial Data Science
- Reference Number 026863
- Location Gilmorehill Campus / Main Building
- College / Service COLLEGE OF SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
- Department SCHOOL OF GEOGRAPHICAL & EARTH SCIENCES
- Job Family Research And Teaching
- Position Type Full Time
- Salary Range £35,210 – £39,610 / £43,266- £50,132
- – Establishing and sustaining a track record of independent and joint publications of international quality in high quality refereed journals, generating research impact in terms of economic/societal benefit;
- – Presentation at international and national conferences and at internal/external seminars, colloquia and workshops;
- – Identification of potential funding sources and the development of proposals to secure funding from internal/external bodies to support future research;
- – Developing and maintaining collaborations with colleagues across the School/College/University and external Academic and Industrial Partners;
- – Contribution to team/group meetings/seminars/workshops and activities to enhance the wider knowledge, outputs and culture of the School/College.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Essential:A1 Relevant PhD or equivalent experience within geospatial data science, remote sensing, computer science, geography, geoscience or a cognate discipline A2 Significant breadth/depth of knowledge in geospatial data science, as applied to environmental, geological or social application areas A3 A growing international reputation, evidenced by esteem indicators, in a field that matches or enhances existing activities within the School of Geographical and Earth Sciences.
Essential: C1 Ability, drive and influence to develop an international research profile C2 Research creativity and strong cross-discipline collaborative ability as appropriate C3 Excellent communication skills, with ability to communicate complex data/concepts clearly and concisely C4 Excellent interpersonal skills and a collegiate approach C5 Appropriate workload/time/project/budget/people management skills C6 Extensive IT and data analysis/interpretation skills C7 Good team leadership skills including demonstrable supervisory skills C8 A strong commitment to high quality, research led, student orientated teaching and proven ability to engage students to inspire learning, and to provide pastoral care to students
For appointment at Grade 8: C9 Excellent leadership skills, able to develop early career academic colleagues and manage a research team C10 Excellent influencing and collaboration skills to facilitate shaping the research agenda of the academic community and funders C11 Exceptional commitment to high quality teaching, enthusing students and inspiring learning Experience Essential: E1 Sufficient depth of relevant research experience including postdoctoral experience, appropriate to an early career researcher E2 Evidence of a track record of presentations and publications E3 Experience in undertaking independent research and contributing to successful funding applications E4 Excellent track record of development and delivery of teaching at undergraduate or postgraduate level
For appointment at Grade 8: E5 Strong track record of undertaking research, publishing in high impact journals at national and international level, and in attracting external research funding E6 Excellent track record of contribution to academic and administration activities in a research led institution
- Design and lecture on equivalent of 30 credits in undergraduate or postgraduate programmes; carry normal project supervision load.
- Two 3* or more REF quality papers per annum (portfolio with minimum of four 3* papers in most recent 6 year period), with the potential that one or more could meet the 4* REF criteria
- Apply for external research funding on average twice per year PGR supervision equal to Russell Group median Consistently hold a portfolio of funding as PI sufficient to support at least one PDRA
- Contribute to national and international research developments
- A through membership of appropriate committees and review panels for research councils and similar bodies.