Posted on: 9 September, 2019
Application deadline: September 29, 2019
Head of the Local Employment, Skills and Social Innovation Division, Centre for Entrepreneurship SMEs Regions and Cities (CFE), OECD, France
The OECD has earned a leading role in supporting entrepreneurship and SME policy, tourism policy, local and regional development, and cities, as well as multi-level governance and decentralisation issues. The Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs, Regions and Cities (CFE) is the focal point for the OECD’s work in these areas. It advances the Strategic Orientations of the Secretary-General and his “21 for 21” agenda, ensuring impact of the OECD work in its range of work in the international governance architecture and provides comparative statistics, analysis and capacity building. It helps local and national actors work together to unleash the potential of entrepreneurs and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), promote inclusive and sustainable regions and cities, boost local job creation, and implement sound tourism policies. It also serves the Regional Policy Development Committee (RDPC) and its three Working Parties on Urban Policy, Rural Policy and Territorial Indicators, the Working Party on SMEs and Entrepreneurship (WPSMEE), the Tourism Committee and its Working Party on Tourism Statistics and the Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) Directing Committee.
- Ensure the strategic planning, development and implementation of the Division’s work programme and contribute to OECD horizontal projects.
- Manage the Secretariat for the LEED Directing Committee. Facilitate dialogue, liaise with the LEED chairperson and bureau, as well as the chair of the Committee’s Forum, to build consensus and encourage productive meetings.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders beyond Committee membership (i.e. local governments, employment and skills-related entities, social innovators, cultural institutions, etc.), in line with the Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) work programme and as part of the stakeholder engagement strategy of the Division and the Centre.
- Ensure quality control of the Division’s outputs in support of its work programme.
- Contribute actively to the management of the Directorate more generally, and actively co-operate with other CFE divisions.
- Advise the Director and Deputy Director on strategic and substantive issues related to local employment, entrepreneurship and social innovation and develop joint activities and projects with other CFE Division work areas.
- Support the advancement of the Strategic Orientations of the Secretary-General, in particular as they relate to areas of the programme of work for the LEED Committee (local employment and skills, local economic development, social entrepreneurship, culture, etc.).
- Assist in providing support to the Sherpa and the Sherpa team on targeted policy advice and on the Organisation’s contributions in the work areas covered by the Division, including to the G20 and G7.
- Contribute to ensure the global impact of the OECD work in the Division’s policy areas, including through increased engagement with key partners, and in line with the global relations strategy of the OECD.
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence by ensuring high standards of recruitment, performance management, project planning and management, effective working methods and a working environment conducive to teamwork, continuous learning, and innovation.
- Manage the Division’s resources to ensure optimal utilisation of available human and financial resources. Maintain high standards of financial management and reporting.
- Develop and implement a sustainable fundraising strategy for the Division, in collaboration with staff leading the various streams of work and CFE Senior Management.
- Expand the OECD’s visibility related to LEED’s areas of work, and represent the OECD at international meetings and conferences involving senior policy makers and other relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with OECD colleagues within CFE and other Directorates.
- Deepen and expand the Division’s connections to the Permanent Delegations to the OECD, senior public officials at the national and local levels, international organisations, civil society and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (economics, environment, public administration, political science).
- A minimum of ten years of senior level experience promoting policies for local economic and employment development in an international context.
- Proven experience in providing strategic leadership at a senior management level within the areas of expertise.
- Excellent ability to network and build connections with senior public officials, other relevant international organisations and networks, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to lead discussions and develop consensus in international meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and manage a high-performing, multidisciplinary and multicultural team.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, plan and execute complex and dynamic work programmes in co-operation with others, to deploy resources effectively, and deliver expected results on target and within budget.
- Solid experience in the management of projects, fundraising and innovative methods to engage stakeholders.
- Fluency in one of the two OECD official languages (English and French) and knowledge of the other, with a commitment to reach a good working level.
- Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
- For this role, the following competencies would be particularly important: Achievement focus, Analytical and flexible thinking, Managing resources, Teamwork and Team leadership, Organisational alignment, Strategic networking and thinking.
- Please refer to the level 5 indicators of the OECD Core Competencies.
- Two-year fixed term appointment, with the possibility of renewal.
- Monthly base salary starting from 9,921 EUR, plus allowances based on eligibility, exempt of French income tax.