2021 AKS Graduate Fellowship
The Academy of Korean Studies – The Graduate School of Korean Studies
The Graduate School of Korean Studies, the Academy of Korean Studies(AKS), which is responsible to the Ministry of Education, is a research-oriented graduate school in the fields of humanities and social sciences pertinent to Korea. It was established in 1980 with the aim of nurturing scholars who will contribute to the development and globalization of Korean studies. Currently, approximately 300 students, including about 130 international students from 35 different countries, are enrolled in the Master’s or doctoral degree program.
The AKS Graduate Fellowship is a non-degree program which invites international graduate students abroad in the fields of Korean Studies to the AKS, and offers opportunities to conduct research in Korea for 6 months. AKS Graduate Fellows for the period from 1st September 2021 to 28th February 2022 are now being sought. Those who aspire to widen and deepen their knowledge of Korea by conducting research at the AKS are very welcome to apply.
1. Fellowship Benefits
- Monthly stipend of 480GB
- An economy-class round trip airfare
- On-campus guesthouse available free of charge
- Fellowship Period : 6 months (From 1st Sep 2021to 28th Feb 2022)
- Fellows will designate one of the AKS’ professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor, who will guide them through the fellowship period.
- Access to the AKS facilities including the library and Jangseogak Archives is given.
- Korean language courses as well as cultural experience program are available free of charge.
- International students enrolled at an overseas university in a Master’s or doctoral degree program as of the beginning of the fellowship period (1 Sep 2021), whose research topic pertains to Korea/Korean studies
- Students in an ABD(All But Dissertation) status of a Master’s degree program are eligible, but doctoral degree students in an ABD status are not eligible.
- Korean language proficiency is not required.
3. Maximum Number of Fellows Sought : 5
4. Recruitment Schedule
- Online Application and document submission by post, (10:00 Mon 19 April ~ 17:00 Fri 14 May)
- Online application: gradaks.recruiter.co.kr
- Announcement of Selection Result, 17:00 Fri 2 July,
- intl.aks.ac.kr/english – Notice
- It might change under the unexpected conditions.
5. Fellows’ Obligations
A. Taking a Course
- Fellows must take at least one major-specific course taught by their academic advisor or design an independent study with student’s own topic and research plan with their academic advisor.
- Credits are not given for courses taken. Instead, courses are graded S(Successful) or U(Unsuccessful), and fellows must obtain “S” for courses taken.
- Towards the end of the fellowship period, there will be a presentation where fellows must present their research findings.
C. Final Report
- Completing their research, fellows must submit either a thesis or a report summarizing their research findings.
- A thesis or a report must be minimum 16,000 letters(including spaces) in length when written in Korean, and minimum 5,000 words when written in English, excluding the bibliography.
6. Contact Us