Posted on: 5 December, 2018
Application deadline: December 14, 2018
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – Senior, Pima Country, Arizona, USA
1457 – Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – Senior
This position is in the Information Technology Department
Salary Grade: 60
This classification supervises and participates in the design and implementation of complex spatial-analytical models, products and services, including database management and thematic mapping, using Automated Mapping/Facilities Management and/or Geographic Information System (AM/FM/GIS) programs in a relational database environment. This classification also performs independent and cooperative AM/FM/GIS systems analysis, design, implementation and maintenance, and performs related administrative and project-coordination work.
Duties/Responsibilities (Work assignments may vary depending on the department’s needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
- Leads other technical staff and participates in the production of AM/FM/GIS and related products and services;
- Meets with service requestors of products or services to better define their needs or identify problems encountered;
- Performs or programs complex GIS analysis, programming and processing tasks through use of design analysis routines for determining the presentation of data;
- Develops and implements complex AM/FM/GIS analysis procedures;
- Directs development and implementation of quality control procedures for AM/FM/GIS programs, procedures, services and products;
- Creates and documents new and revised AM/FM/GIS systems applications, programs and data sets;
- Maintains job control and related documentation for budget tracking and planning purposes;
- Assists division manager in the development and maintenance of departmental long-term plans, programs and budgets;
- Participates in GIS database design, development and modification program with other technical staff;
- Leads others in complex special AM/FM/GIS projects;
- Evaluates and makes recommendations to management for acquisition of AM/FM/GIS software, hardware and peripheral equipment;
- Assigns, reviews and evaluates the work of assigned staff;
- Coordinates, reviews and approves the work of other staff engaged in unique or complex AM/FM/GIS projects;
Trains staff in AM/FM/GIS processing and database maintenance functions. KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- principles, techniques and applications of AM/FM/GIS data, imagery, metadata, programming and analysis, geographic database management, cartographic illustration, graphics programs, and quality-control for information automation, maintenance, processing, delivery and display;
- performing and programming spatial analysis and/or queries with AM/FM/GIS or other software;
- AM/FM/GIS computer hardware, software and peripheral devices;
- programming language(s) appropriate to area of assignment;
- database design and application in a distributed processing environment;
- cartography, map-reading, spatial geometry and mathematics;
- computer-based mapping and digitizing procedures;
- principles and practices of project planning, management, and budgeting;
- effective supervision, training, and communication techniques.
- analyzing, designing, revising and documenting AM/FM/GIS systems applications, programs and databases;
- developing and applying quality control measures in a GIS environment;
- identifying, analyzing, and resolving programming problems applicable to AM/FM/GIS systems, to include problem-avoidance;
- using appropriate programming language(s);
- operating and applying AM/FM/GIS computer hardware, software and peripheral devices;
- project planning, management, control and budgeting;
- supervising, training and communicating effectively.
(1) A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, university or technical school in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Automated Mapping/Facility Management (AM/FM), Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), remote sensing, cartography, geography, planning or landscape architecture and two years of technical experience in geographic information processing (e.g., AM/FM, CAD/CADD, GIS, etc.).
(2) An Associate’s degree from an accredited college, university or technical school in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Automated Mapping/Facility Management (AM/FM), Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), remote sensing, cartography, geography, planning or landscape architecture and four years of technical experience in geographic information processing (e.g., AM/FM, CAD/CADD, GIS, etc.).
(3) Six years of technical experience in the support and maintenance of a computerized AM/FM/GIS or CAD/CADD database, which included the production of maps, plats and cartographic reports, products and services.
(4) Two years of experience with Pima County as a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the “Education” and “Work Experience” sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write “see resume” on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience administering ArcGIS Enterprise (formerly ArcGIS Server) and its underlying relational database system (Microsoft SQL Server), including the following:
- Server infrastructure specifications and implementation.
- Software installation, configuration, updates, and ongoing administration.
- User management, including role configuration and assignment.
- Implementation and support of new functionality.
- Experience administering ArcGIS Enterprise extensions and integrated applications, including installation, configuration, and management for the following products:
- Portal for ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Enterprise Sites
- ArcGIS Online
- Open Data Portal
- ArcGIS Hub
- Insights for ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Business/Community Analyst
- Experience designing and implementing ArcGIS Geodatabases at an enterprise/multi-user level within ArcGIS Enterprise, including schema design, data loading, Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) processing, web service publishing, and the migration of legacy GIS data to a Geodatabase.
- Experience integrating GIS data with enterprise business systems, such as Accela, Maximo, Infor, and AMS Advantage.
Selection Procedure: Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process. Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant’s suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management’s review and approval of the candidate’s driving record.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation, polygraph examination and/or pre-/post-appointment drug-testing by law enforcement agencies due to need for access to law enforcement, corrections or Courts facilities, property and associated confidential and sensitive information, documents, communications and database systems.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position. Agency: Pima County
Address: 150 W. Congress – 4th Floor Tucson, Arizona, 85701