LUT School of Engineering Sciences is looking for a professor of social sciences.
The professorship is located at the Department of Social Sciences of the School of Engineering Sciences at LUT University. The position is at the assistant, associate or full professor level of the tenure track and will be filled through an open call for a fixed term of four years (assistant/associate professor) or permanently (full professor).
In 2022, LUT University received the right to provide education leading to the degrees of B.Sc., M.Sc. and D.Sc. in social sciences and communication sciences. The department of Social Sciences understands society and human activities in relation to global sustainability problems. It engages people and communities at the very start of problem-solving to bring about changes more quickly.
The topics (1-3) and expertise areas (a-i) of the professorship are the following:
1. Sustainable citizenship
a) Ecological, economic and social sustainability
b) Social perspectives on climate change, biodiversity or environmental change and protection
c) Engaged, empowered and influential publics and dialogue between institutions or political and societal structures and publics
2. Societal renewal
d) Politics and leadership of global ecological and economic issues
e) Technology and our society
f) Strategic communication and engagement, particularly in the fields of climate
change, sustainability and technology
3. Human–technology interface
g) Social studies of science and technology, socio-technical entanglement and collaboration
h) Behavioural and social perspectives on technologies addressing climate change,
biodiversity or environmental change and protection
i) Ethical dimensions of emerging technologies
The candidates must present strong research achievements in at least one of the expertise areas above and proof of successful project work and research collaboration with research institutions and industry. The candidates must have also teaching merits. Spoken and written fluency in English is required.
The duties related to the field of research also include the following:
- high-impact international research
- planning and implementation of undergraduate and postgraduate education
- supervision of final theses and postgraduate studies
- acquisition of research funding
- cost-conscious leadership and project management
- preparation of national and international research and education projects
- increasing awareness in a way that serves industries and society
- close collaboration and interaction with businesses in the field
- taking part in the preparation of projects in other LUT units as an expert, and
- general administrative work related to the university’s operation.
The appointment process description explains the qualification requirements and tenure track appointment criteria.
All application documents must be in English and in PDF format. The application must include:
- a curriculum vitae (max. 10 pages)
- a copy of the candidates doctoral diploma
- a full list of publications including the candidates Scopus and Google Scholar details: the Scopus ID and Google Scholar profile URL, the total number of publications and total number of citations and h-indices
- a separate list of the 10 publications selected for expert evaluation
- the 10 publications mentioned above
- a teaching portfolio or an equivalent account of the candidates teaching qualifications
- an account of the candidates merits and activities of significance to the vacancy (max. 3 pages), and
- an account of the candidates vision on the development of education, research and projects in the field of the professorship at LUT University (max. 3 pages).
Please specify the tenure track level applied to. The professorship is located at LUT University’s Lappeenranta campus. The position starts with a six-month trial period.
The salary is determined according to the salary system for university teaching and research personnel. The pay will include an individual pay component based on performance and competence. The annual gross salary for an assistant/associate professor amounts to 46 700 – 62 800 euros and full professor to 65 300 – 96 800 euros depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
The closing date for applications is 28 March 2023 at midnight, Finnish local time (UTC + 3 h). Please submit your application by filling out the online form.
For further information, please contact Matti Kojo, associate professor and head of the Department of Social Sciences, email@example.com.
Read more about LUT Social Sciences.
Clean energy, water and air are life-giving resources for which we at LUT University seek new solutions with our expertise in technology, business and social sciences. We help society and businesses in their sustainable renewal. Our international community consists of nearly 8 000 members. Our campuses are in Lappeenranta and Lahti, Finland. We are the world’s ninth best university for climate action.
Technical support for using the recruitment system: firstname.lastname@example.org.