2024 International Conference on Urban Affairs
April 24-27, 2024 | Marriott Marquis Hotel | New York City
Cities on the Edge:
Promoting Equity and Resiliency through Research, Activism, Planning, and Policy
Cities are home to more than 55% of the world’s population and generate 80% of global GDP. Their economic power and influence are counterbalanced by a growing number of social, political, and environmental challenges that threaten to undermine societies and habitats. Current conditions within cities, as well as their future capacity to become equitable and resilient, are shaped by a complex set of dynamics. Policies and politics operating at the global, regional and local levels produce conflicts, polarization, dislocation, economic instability, and climate change. As the world’s cities begin an assumed exit from the recent global pandemic, a singular question emerges: how can cities on the brink of irreversible change develop equitable policy options that will allow for future sustainability and resilience?
The dynamics influencing current conditions in cities, as well as their ability to become equitable and resilient in the future, are complex, and call for a multidisciplinary perspective from urban affairs scholars and practitioners. This conference welcomes researchers, planners, policymakers, advocates, and community leaders to share insights and identify strategies for creating equitable options that ensure sustainable choices. Among the wide range of topics relevant to cities, a set of subthemes are of particular interest.
Cities as Global Landscapes
- Cities as Conflict Zones, Reclaiming and Rebuilding
- Cities in Global Networks (e.g., finance, trade, investment, communications)
- Cities as Migration Centers; Urban Demographic Change; Immigration Rights & Border Politics in Cities
- Urban Health (e.g. care crisis and disease); Quality of Urban Life
- Environmental and Energy Policy Challenges in Cities and Urban Green Futures
- Resilience vs Fragility of Urban Areas, Disaster Planning and Management
- Accessibility and Mobility within Urban Areas; Infrastructure, Transport, Services
- Arts, Culture, Preservation and Heritage in Sustainable Cities
Rights to the City
- Community Development, Gentrification, Neighborhood Change
- Urban Economic and Social Exclusion by Race, Ethnicity, Gender, Identity, Age
- Urban Education, Labor and Employment in Cities, Urban Entrepreneurship
- Urban Housing Affordability, Financialization and Market Dynamics, Homelessness
- Urban Income/Wealth Disparities, Poverty, Wage Gaps; Food Insecurity
- Urban Technology, Media and Communications, Smart Cities, Digital Divides
- Planning Equitable Cities: Urban Design, Land Use, Public Space, Growth Management, Services
Democracy Under Stress: Institutions and Governance
- Urban Economic Development Strategies; Urban Fiscal Policies
- Metropolitan and Regional Dynamics; Development Politics
- Urban Public, Private and Non-governmental Sector Roles; Philanthropy and the City
- Urban Politics, Political Activism, and Urban Social Movements
- Public Safety Challenges; Challenges to Civil Rights of Urban Residents
The conference site of New York City provides a particularly compelling example of a city on the edge. A global center of finance and trade, the city plays a central role in world economic processes, yet continually faces local and regional pressures as a hyper-diverse and politically charged environment. Through special sessions and a general plenary, the conference will spotlight this unique American city, its uncanny resilience, and challenging future.
October 1, 2023 – Abstract/Proposal Submission Ends
NO LATE SUBMISSIONS ARE ACCEPTED—This is a STRICT deadline!
Abstracts for papers/poster and pre-organized session proposals may be submitted until 11:59PM Central Daylight Time (CDT) or 4:59am GMT on October 1. Acceptance or rejection notices will be sent by October 25, 2023. Pro Tip: Do not be fooled by other conferences. UAA does not extend its deadlines. And we do not accept excuses for missed deadlines. Think of the deadlines the way you think of a planned trip on an airplane. The plane will not be there if you miss the boarding deadline. ☺
December 6, 2023 – Registration deadline for all accepted presenters and moderators.
Registration is conducted online. Payments are accepted using all major credit cards. Failure to register by this deadline will result in exclusion from the conference program.