I am looking for up to 2 new graduate students within my field of research (Critical Urban Food Geographies) for Master and PhD level studies in the Department of Geography, University of Calgary for program start in Sept 2020.
Supervision: Dr. Marit Rosol, Canada Research Chair in Global Urban Studies and Associate Professor of Geography
Position 1 (PhD level) entails research assistance with a SSHRC funded research project on community food initiatives in Calgary, Alberta and their connection to housing.
Position 2 (MA or PhD level) is an open call for research proposals related to one of my research interests: a) Food and alternative economies, b) Urban food movements, c) Relation between food and housing insecurity
- Outstanding record of academic performance
- Background in human geography, urban studies, (urban) sociology or related field
- Excellent verbal communication and academic writing skills (English), critical thinking
- Familiarity with and/or research experience in Calgary or other Canadian cities (for position 1 necessary, for position 2 an asset)
- Strong interest and research experience in one or more of the following fields: critical urban food studies, urban food movements, urban social movements, community food security, food justice, alternative food movements, urban inequality, housing
- Enthusiasm for research, including experience in publishing
- Expertise in empirical (qualitative) social science research methods
Student support will come from a combination of teaching assistantships (TA), scholarships from the Department of Geography and supervisor, and – for position 1 only – a research assistantship (RA) from the supervisor. Program start date will be September 2020, the RA may start earlier.
For detailed information please see https://geog.ucalgary.ca/profiles/marit-rosol and https://ucalgary.academia.edu/MaritRosol#graduateandpostdoctoralopportunities
or go directly to the pdf https://www.academia.edu/36453596/Seeking_exceptional_candidates_for_two_fully_funded_graduate_student_positions_Master_and_PhD_level_in_Critical_Urban_Food_Studies
Please apply internally to Marit Rosol on or before Dec 6th 2019 by following the “How to apply” guide provided in the pdf closely. Successful candidates will also need to apply for program admission by January 5th 2020. (Applications arriving later may also be considered until positions are filled.)