Date and location
- November 14, 2013 - November 14, 2013
- Cardiff City Hall
Regional Studies Association
Growing Regional Economies: Wales and the South West of England in Relative Context
Joint conference of the South West England and Wales Branches*
Thursday 14th November 2013, Cardiff City Hall: 9am-3.15pm
Deadline for abstracts: 1st October 2013
The South West England and Wales Branches of the Regional Studies Association are pleased to announce their joint conference. This initiative is designed to facilitate and stimulate dialogue between policy makers and academics in an attempt to identify ways to enhance and improve understanding of the workings of our economies and to make the UK’s regions and nations better places to live.
The Branches are interdisciplinary and welcome contributions from geographers, planners and economists from government, academics, and independent bodies as well as other interested parties. The conference themes are listed below and paper submission, registration details and the programme itself, together with full details of authors, papers, and roundtable, will be available at :-
• Local economic development and Regional growth policy in context, including the city-region
• Entrepreneurship, FDI and internationalisation processes
• Skills development, Knowledge Sourcing, and impacts of policies such as Enterprise Zones
• The Role and Scope of Universities in Regional Economic Growth
• Health and Poverty in local and regional contexts
• Impacts of the economic crisis
As well as the papers presented, the conference offers an opportunity to network with academics and practitioners with a focus on the South West and South Wales.
There is no fee for attendance, which includes coffee, lunch and tea.
In addition, this year, the conference will immediately follow the ISBE 2013 conference which takes place at Cardiff City Hall on 12th-13th November.
For any further information regarding the conference, including early submission of conference abstracts and papers please contact the Wales Branch Secretary: Professor David Pickernell, Centre for Enterprise, Business School, University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd, CF37 1DL E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org . Tel: +44 (0)1443 483759
* The Wales Branch is a limited agent for the Regional Studies Association but without any authority to incur financial liability for that Association.
0830-0900 Arrival, Registration and Coffee
0900-1000: Introduction and First 3 Papers
1100-1230: Concluding 3 papers
1230-1400: Lunch and Networking
1400-1500: Policy Round Table: The future of regional policy in context (including Entrepreneurship, City Regions and Enterprise Zones)